This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2148 / 51°12'53"N
Longitude: -0.799 / 0°47'56"W
OS Eastings: 483980
OS Northings: 146867
OS Grid: SU839468
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.NV9
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.3QGK
Entry Name: The Spinning Wheel (Including Wing to Rear)
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290818
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Built-Up Area: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
1099 THE BOROUGH
(South East Side)
(The Spinning Wheel)
(including wing to rear)
SU 8346 NE 5/108 26.4.50.
C16-17, 3 storey, on site of earlier building, part of this structure at back
possibly dating from C14. A tall double-gabled front of timber-frame with
curved braces arranged in patterns to outer panels of framing under each gable.
Old tile roof projecting over moulded bargeboards to gables, Oversailing at
2nd floor level, with moulded beam across front supported on 3 carved wood
brackets. 2 small 2-light leaded attic casements in gable heads. 2 rectangular
bays, each 10-light mullioned and transomed, with moulded cills, transomes
and heads with 2 bracket supports, each bay flanked by a pair of 2-light casements,
forming a continuous window across front. All lights leaded. To right hand
of centre on 1st floor a smaller and similar splayed bay flanked by small 3-light
casements. Yard entry to left hand end modern shop on ground floor (C18 reproduction)
with wide flat central bow flanked by glazed door to left hand and window on
wall face to right hand.
Long wing at back 2 storeys. Timber-frame with brick infilling and irregular
lead casements and plain doors. The interior has been reconstructed with
open balustraded galleries at floor levels to front part of building, which
opens to roof in centre. At one time a post office used part of the building.
For a short while after 1860 the Goats Head Inn was transferred here from corner
of Castle Street. Originally was probably cloth merchants house.
Restoration carried out by H Falkner under patronage of C E Borelli.
The Borough front of the Bush Hotel and Nos 29 to 44 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8398346859
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings