This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2196 / 51°13'10"N
Longitude: -0.8044 / 0°48'15"W
OS Eastings: 483594
OS Northings: 147391
OS Grid: SU835473
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.FFM
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.0LLX
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290833
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 8347 SE 1/2
About 1710. 2-storey square block of fine red brick, with projecting fronts
on east and west, each of 5 bays. The garden (east) front has projecting plinth,
deep string at 1st floor level. Slightly projecting piers, whole height,
at angles and flanking central bay, with strings, frieze and cornice broken
forward over each pier. Painted frieze and cornice with pairs of carved console
brackets. Panelled parapet with moulded coping. Old tile roof, 5 windows
on 1st floor with architrave frame, the central window arched with triple key
block. 4 similar windows on ground floor and central glazed door, 3 panes
wide x 4, with enriched architrave surround, and doorcase of fluted Corinthian
pilasters, full moulded entablature broken forward over pilasters, and with
architrave turned up in centre with scroll ends to upper moulding end carved
central cartouche ornament, and segmental pediment, very good proportion.
This front overlooks a formal walled garden, formerly with a carved stone -
sundial, baluster type, as central feature.
The entrance (west) front repeats the general design of the garden front in
all respects, except the doorcase to central door, which consists of bolection
architrave surround, with double scroll cut brackets and flat moulded hood.
The north front has 3 windows and same general design as east and west fronts.
The south front is generally similar, the same cornice and parapet treatment
carried round, but unsymmetrical grouping of windows on 3 levels. 4 4-light
mullioned and transomed casements (one altered) on 2nd floor. 2 3-lights and
2 4-lights on 1st floor, irregular casements on ground floor and door to right
hand of centre with bolection architrave surround, square panel over between
elaborate double scroll cut brackets, and flat moulded hood with front edge
broken forward over brackets. The interior has painted decoration by J Thornhill
on staircase, which has contemporary richly turned balusters, etc. The house
illustrated in special article Country Life, July 28th 1934.
The Stair illustrated in Country Life, July 31st 1942.
The garden doorway illustrated in Nathaniel Lloyd's History of the English
House. The house stands on site of former Bishop's Grange. See also article
in Country Life, July 28th 1934.
Listing NGR: SU8359447391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings