This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.215 / 51°12'54"N
Longitude: -0.7992 / 0°47'57"W
OS Eastings: 483964
OS Northings: 146888
OS Grid: SU839468
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.NS1
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.3QBF
Entry Name: Coach and Horses Inn grays Travel
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Last Amended: 29 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290838
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 8346 NE 5/3
No 1 (Gray's Travel)
(Formerly listed as No 10 The Borough) and
No 2 (Coach and Horses Inn)
(Formerly listed as Coach and Horses Inn)
C17, altered. A grouping of 2 tall 3-storey blocks with a 2-storey and attic
block. The southern block (C17) facing Castle Street and THE BOROUGH has an
oversailing upper part of colour-washed rendering on timber frame, supported
by long carved scroll brackets at angles and sides of doors, with a modern
shop front under on each face of double bow windows and central half-glazed
door. On 1st floor, one large early C19 3-light window with pilasters between
lights, console brackets and cornice. On 2nd floor level one large 8-light
restored mullioned and transomed window with lead casements. Hipped tile roof.
The front to the Borough has similar general shape, and ground floor treatment
with 2 3-light windows on 1st floor and one on 2nd floor, all C18. A similar
C19 block to right hand on Castle Street repeats window treatment to upper
part, with modern doors and bow window on ground floor, and sham timber framing
to front generally. The link between has one C19 dormer, 2 4-light (C17-18)
mullioned and transomed casements on 1st floor. Modern ground floor: to left
hand, a flush-panelled door with 3-light rectangular fanlight over. To right
hand, modern Georgian style bow fronted shop window; flat hood over, projecting
forward over door.
An old view (1761) of these buildings shows link and right hand part of lower
height and with brick fronts of C18 character.
Nos 1 and 77 Castle Street, Nos 1 to 9 (consec) including No 1A, and Nos 1
to 6 Town Hall Buildings (The Borough), the listed buildings from Nos 108 to
122 (consec) West Street, all form a group.
All the listed buildings, with Nos 1 to 9 (consec) Lowndes Buildings, In Castle
Street (West Side) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8395946895
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings