This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3016 / 51°18'5"N
Longitude: -0.537 / 0°32'13"W
OS Eastings: 502084
OS Northings: 156845
OS Grid: TQ020568
Mapcode National: GBR GD4.91W
Mapcode Global: VHFV8.MKY1
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290738
Location: Woking, Surrey, GU22
District Council Ward: Hoe Valley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Woking St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05 NW
BOROUGH OF WOKING
CHURCH STREET (east side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. C12, chancel addition C13, tower C15, south porch C16. Vestry added and
Church restored in 1886. Mortar rendered rubblestone with carstone in nave
walling, freestone ashlar to tower, brick south porch, rendered chancel and flint
vestry; plain tiled roofs. West tower, 3 bay nave, south aisle and porch,
chancel to east with vestry addition to north corner. 2 stage tower, angle
buttresses to first stage containing tiles and brickwork, brick dressed square
casement window over arched west door. Battlemented unbuttressed stage above
with clock face on north and west sides. South porch with centre roll moulded
depressed arch to door, niches to either side, crowstepped gable above. C13
Lancet windows to south side of chancel, renewed 3 light window to east with
curvillinear tracery, renewed C15 windows to south aisle. West door within the
tower c1100, oak with large iron C straps and horizontal bands in roll moulded
arched surround with cushion capitals to piers. Octagonal piers to south aisle
arcade, 3 crown post trusses to nave roof, chancel arch doubled chamfered to choir,
single chamfer to nave. Fittings: Arcaded west gallery dated 1622, pulpit in
similar style, although altered, having lozenge patterning. Nave font C19, stone
decorated Gothic style, bowl on stem with surrounding marble columns. Some late
medieval pews survive the remainder are copies.
Monuments: Chancel North wall: Sophia Flayer Jervis died 1834: Grey and white
marble, draped female figure on coffin. South wall: Johannes Lloyd, died 1663:
stone artisan tablet with open pediment enclosing smaller segmental pediment to
top, strapwork decoration, central black marble tablet. Nave: North wall:
William Harvest, died 1741, grey marble panel, flanking piers and crowning acorn.
Reverend R. Emily, died 1792 by R. Westmacott Snr; White marble, fluted piers
flanking a pedimented niche, central draped urns, scrolls to cill. South Aisle:
South wall: Thomas Bund, died 1776, grey and white marble obelisk top winged
cherubs heads below. John Merest, died 1752, white marble, fluted Ionic pilasters
with flanking scrolls, crowning cherubs heads either side of a coat of arms,
gadrooning to base.
Brasses: To John Shadhet, died 1527, Isabelle and Henry Purdon died 1523:
standing figures with hands folded in prayer.
Listing NGR: TQ0208456845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings