This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9743 / 54°58'27"N
Longitude: -2.0195 / 2°1'10"W
OS Eastings: 398850
OS Northings: 564408
OS Grid: NY988644
Mapcode National: GBR GBBX.LN
Mapcode Global: WHB2D.Y7HG
Entry Name: Vicars Pele
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239934
Location: Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45
Civil Parish: Corbridge
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CORBRIDGE MARKET PLACE
NY 9864 (North side)
21/173 Vicar's Pele
Towerhouse vicarage, c.1400 except for gabled roof of 1910. Large squared
stones, mostly re-used Roman material; stone slate roof. Pointed-arched
doorway on east has old door of oak boards bolted into iron grille. Scattered
fenestration, small chamfered loops except for larger trefoil-arched lights
to north and south at 1st floor level. Hollow chamfered cornice below crenellated
parapet (largely fallen except on south); remains of corbelled-out square angle
bartizans. Several C18 headstones affixed to north and west walls, including
stone to John Robson d. 1753; semicircular pedimented top enclosing cherub above
line of key ornament.
Interior: drawbar tunnel in inner jambs of entrance; similar arch from entrance
lobby into barrel-vaulted basement. Mural stair to lobby with shelf and sink.
1st floor has window seats on north and south, fireplace with moulded surround on
north and 2 wall cupboards on west. Further mural stair to 2nd floor (floor
timbers missing) which has mural bookrest recess adjacent to window of north-
The tower now houses a collection of medieval and earlier carved stones; in
addition a number of medieval cross slabs have been re-used in the fabric,
mostly as lintels over windows and the mural stairs.
The best preserved vicar's pele in the county; in use as the vicarage until the
Northumberland County History X (1910) 209-215
Listing NGR: NY9885064408
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings