This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9818 / 54°58'54"N
Longitude: -1.9427 / 1°56'33"W
OS Eastings: 403764
OS Northings: 565240
OS Grid: NZ037652
Mapcode National: GBR GBWT.6Z
Mapcode Global: WHB2G.415R
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239848
Location: Bywell, Northumberland, NE43
Civil Parish: Bywell
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BYWELL NEWTON HALL
NZ 06 NW
6/87 Church of St. James
Church, built 1857 as chapel of ease, enlarged 1873. Squared tooled stone with
tooled-and-margined (1857) or tooled (1873) dressings; red tile roof. Aisleless
nave with west tower and south porch, transepts, chancel with north vestry.
C14 Gothic style, the 1857 chapel (the present nave) being modelled on the
chapel of St. Bartholomew's Hospital at Cowley, Oxford.
3-stage west tower with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and north stair
turret; 3-light west window, 2-light belfry openings, embattled parapet with
8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave has two 2-light windows, differing in detail, to
north and south; south porch has pointed arch and IHS in foiled panel over.
Transepts and chancel with moulded plinth and string courses; angle buttresses
to south transept, diagonal buttresses to chancel and north transept; various
2-light windows and 3-light east window. Eaves cornice to chancel with square
flower ornament. Coped gables with finial crosses.
Interior: Tall tower arch with embattled respond capitals; chancel arch with
ballflower, on shafted responds with angel corbels. Rib-vaulted tower and south
transept. Painted panelled chancel ceiling. Carved stone reredos, tiled stepped
sanctuary with brass rail. North transept as organ chamber. Elaborately-carved
octagonal font with symbols of Evangelists. Some marble memorial tablets
including 1914-18 War Memorial. Glass by Clayton and Bell.
Listing NGR: NZ0376465240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings