This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9926 / 54°59'33"N
Longitude: -2.1083 / 2°6'30"W
OS Eastings: 393165
OS Northings: 566455
OS Grid: NY931664
Mapcode National: GBR FBQQ.B2
Mapcode Global: WHB25.LR7Y
Entry Name: The Barracks
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044814
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239781
Location: Acomb, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Acomb
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St John Lee
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ACOMB ACOMB VILLAGE
NY 9366 (South side)
18/21 The Barracks
House, formerly a pair, dated 1730 with initials J:F on door lintel, refenestrated
c.1900. 3 storeys, 4 narrow bays, irregular. Coursed large rubble, rendered
in front, with cut dressings; Welsh slate roof with brick end stacks (one
rendered). Central pair of 4-panel doors in chamfered surrounds, the left with
dated lintel. Sash windows (upper leaf 6-pane, lower 2-pane or plate-glass),
paired on ground floor left, with cut lintels and sills. Raised reverse-stepped
Right return shows partly-blocked chamfered doorway and blocked 2nd floor window
in stone surround. Similar doorway to right in 2-storey rear wing; another to
Interior: chamfered doorway in cross wall, some original fireplaces.
Said to derive its name from being used as lodgings for local lead miners,
listed partly for historic value.
Listing NGR: NY9316566455
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings