This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9812 / 54°58'52"N
Longitude: -2.1018 / 2°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 393581
OS Northings: 565183
OS Grid: NY935651
Mapcode National: GBR FBRV.R5
Mapcode Global: WHB2C.P2B5
Entry Name: Stable Block and Farm Buildings to Rear
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239787
Location: Acomb, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Acomb
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St John Lee
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ACOMB THE HERMITAGE
20/27 Stable block and
Stables and attached farmbuildings, c.1760 with buildings on north side of yard
remodelled in early C19. Central gateway and fronts of end pavilions tooled-
and-margined ashlar; remainder of front squared stone, rear parts coursed rubble,
with tooled dressings. Lakeland slate roofs. Ranges around rectangular yard,
those to rear (north) built into hillside.
South elevation 2 storeys, 2+3+1+3+2 bays, symmetrical. Plinth. Central
entrance bay has keyed segmental arch with imposts, and moulded eaves cornice;
flanking 3-bay parts each have central panelled door flanked by renewed windows,
with latticed openings above, all in raised stone surrounds. 2-bay end pavilions
each have boarded doors under boarded tympana with heart-shaped piercing, in
segmental arches with imposts; 9-pane sashes above; pyramidal roofs, that of
right pavilion with weathervane.
Ranges to rear of pavilions have 2-panel doors and stone-surround windows.
4-bay pent open cartshed at rear of front range west of gateway. To rear of
yard, 3-bay cartshed/granary to left and pigsty/henhouses to right, with open
midden between; granary and henhouses entered, at higher level from rear.
Midden enclosed by flat-coped wall ramped up on left of entrance; lower wall
fronting pigsty has integral stone feeding chutes and troughs.
Listing NGR: NY9358165183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings