History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Francis of Assisi

A Grade II Listed Building in Rochester, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3146 / 55°18'52"N

Longitude: -2.3627 / 2°21'45"W

OS Eastings: 377074

OS Northings: 602336

OS Grid: NT770023

Mapcode National: GBR C6YZ.8P

Mapcode Global: WH8ZC.PP24

Entry Name: Church of St Francis of Assisi

Listing Date: 10 November 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1044835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239732

Location: Rochester, Northumberland, NE19

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Rochester

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Horsley with Byrness

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Byrness

Listing Text

ROCHESTER BYRNESS
NT 70 SE
8/72 Church of St.
Francis of Assisi
10.11.51 (formerly listed as
Byrness Church)

GV II

Parish church. 1796. Restored, gothicized and chancel partly rebuilt 1884
by F.R. Wilson.

Ashlar with stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, west baptistry/vestry, north
porch and west bellcote.

Two-bay nave has gabled porch to right; round-headed doorway with keystone
and impost blocks. C18 round-headed nave windows with C19 Decorated tracery.
One-bay chancel with 2-light Decorated east window. Gabled roofs with flat
coping. Round-arched bellcote with ball finial.

Interior: inner doorway dated 1796. Otherwise all of 1884. Double-chamfered
chancel arch rising from corbels bearing colonettes with waterleaf capitals.
South window of 1903 commemorating the men, women and children who died during.
the construction of the reservoir at Catcleugh; an adjacent brass plate
records the names of 64 persons who died between 1891 and 1904. Canted timber
ceiling with arched braces on stone corbels and false hammerbeams bearing
crosses. Sanctuary has fine encaustic tiles with geometric patterns and
symbols of the Evangelists.


Listing NGR: NT7707402336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.