This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9771 / 54°58'37"N
Longitude: -1.824 / 1°49'26"W
OS Eastings: 411365
OS Northings: 564737
OS Grid: NZ113647
Mapcode National: GBR HBPW.XM
Mapcode Global: WHC3M.Y5M9
Entry Name: Church of St Oswin
Listing Date: 7 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239516
Location: Wylam, Northumberland, NE41
Civil Parish: Wylam
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Wylam St Oswin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 16 SW WYLAM CHURCH ROAD
19/142 Church of St. Oswin
Parish church. 1886 by R.J. Johnson. Largely snecked rubble with Lakeland
slate roof. Nave and chancel, south porch, south tower, north vestry and organ
chamber. Perpendicular style. 3-bay nave has first a timber porch with delicate
tracery, then 2-light windows. Tall embattled tower with angle buttresses,
2-light bell openings and gargoyles; also acts as transept internally. 2-bay
chancel with unusual Perpendicular tracery. East and west windows are 5-light
with panel tracery. Organ chamber and vestry, under catslide roof, also treated
as transept internally. Gables are raised with ridged and roll-moulded coping.
Wrought-iron vane on tower.
Interior: Canted barrel-vaulted wood panelled ceiling with carved bosses and
frieze. Chancel ceiling is painted with Tudor roses and foliage and has carved
relief frieze of vines. Pews, pulpit and doors have linenfold carving. Screens
and altar rails with panels of tracery. Traceried reredos.
Listing NGR: NZ1136564737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings