This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9929 / 54°59'34"N
Longitude: -2.1365 / 2°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 391361
OS Northings: 566491
OS Grid: NY913664
Mapcode National: GBR FBJP.7Z
Mapcode Global: WHB25.4RVQ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044988
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239375
Location: Warden, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Warden
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warden
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 96 NW WARDEN LOW WARDEN
7/125 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Saxon west tower, transepts C13, nave and south porch 1765,
chancel 1889. Tower coursed sandstone with irregular large quoins, remainder
coursed squared sandstone; slate roof. Cruciform with west tower and south porch.
Tall tower has small round-headed windows differing in detail, stepped-in C18
belfry stage with single broad pointed opening in each face, low pyramidal cap.
Nave has C19 windows in C13 style. Transepts have tall chamfered plinth, clasping
buttresses at angles, stepped buttresses to sides and beneath gable windows;
single and paired C13 lancets in side walls with hollow-chamfered string linking
hoodmoulds. Three-light windows in gables are largely C19. Chancel has lancet
windows in side walls, priests' door on south with enriched shouldered arch,
three-light east window. South porch has Cl9 inner and outer arches, good C18
sundial in gable, blocked square-headed window in west wall.
Interior. Low round-headed tower arch with moulded imposts, possibly Roman stones,
arch of rough rubble perhaps a post-medieval reconstruction. C19 pointed double-
chamfered transept arches on medieval jambs. Piscina in south wall of south
transept, square-headed aumbry rebated for door in north wall of north transept.
C12 coped and regulated gravestone in chancel against north wall, medieval cross
slab in sanctuary floor, various C18/19 floor slabs and wall monuments. Important
collection of carved stones lying loose in porch.
Traditionally Warden Church stands on the site of an oratory used by St. John of
Beverley when he was Bishop of Hexham (685-704). The west tower, despite the C18
reconstruction of its belfry stage, is an important member of the Northumbrian
group of Saxon towers. H.M. & J. Taylor, Anglo Saxon Architecture 632 - 634
Listing NGR: NY9136066490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings