History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Womens Institute

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbrough, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0054 / 55°0'19"N

Longitude: -2.1982 / 2°11'53"W

OS Eastings: 387418

OS Northings: 567892

OS Grid: NY874678

Mapcode National: GBR FB2K.WH

Mapcode Global: WHB24.6GH3

Entry Name: Womens Institute

Listing Date: 12 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239342

Location: Newbrough, Northumberland, NE47

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Newbrough

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Warden

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newbrough

Summary

Mechanic’s Institute, 1854, enlarged 1890; later Women's Institute.

Description

Mechanic’s Institute, 1854, enlarged 1890; later Women's Institute.

Materials: tooled squared stone and tooled and margined raised quoins; slate roof, coped gables with kneelers, tooled and margined ashlar stepped and corniced stacks.

Two storeys and four bays beneath a pitched roof. The three ground floor windows have raised stone surrounds with broad chamfers, and there is an entrance in a similar surround to the right, fitted with a six-panelled door. The three first floor windows are similar, and there is a smaller round-headed stair window to the right. Between the ground and first floor windows are inscribed panels 'The Women's' and 'Institute' flanking a framed tablet with the inscription: 'ESTABLISHED 1848 ERECTED BY SUBSCRIPTION 1854 AND ENLARGED BY GEORGE J COOKSON 1890'

Included for historical interest.

History

The Newbrough Reading Room and Mutual Improvement Society (later known as the Mechanic’s Institute) was established in 1849. Having quickly outgrown their meeting room, a new building was erected in 1854, funded by public subscription. The building was subsequently enlarged by George J Cookson in 1890.

In 1948 it was gifted to the local Women’s Institute, along with a sum of £100 for decorating and renovation work. Newbrough Women’s Institute was founded in 1923 by over a hundred women from the village, and prior to acquiring the former mechanic’s Institute, they met in the adjacent town hall.

Reasons for Listing

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.