This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3115 / 53°18'41"N
Longitude: -1.1228 / 1°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 458539
OS Northings: 379758
OS Grid: SK585797
Mapcode National: GBR NZL4.PM
Mapcode Global: WHDF7.Q1H4
Entry Name: Worksop Station, House and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 10 April 1975
Last Amended: 1 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241249
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81
District Council Ward: Worksop North West
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop St John
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 57 NE
CARLTON ROAD (West side)
Worksop Station, house and outbuildings
(Formerly listed as Worksop Railway Station (Building to Entrance Front))
Railway station, station house and outbuildings, opened 7th July 1849. Jacobean style. Designed by Weightman & Hadfield (of Sheffield), built by James Drabble (of Carlton in Lindrick) for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Co. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, moulded impost band and string course and coped parapet. 3 coped gables, 2 and 4 banded, corbelled ridge stacks. Balanced facade with projecting gabled central bay and flanking gabled bays; single storey, 17 unequal bays. Central bay has round headed doorway with projecting keystones and fanlight, flanked by tapering diced pilasters with square bases and moulded capitals, blocked frieze and moulded cornice. Above, shouldered shaped gable with obelisk finial, containing strapwork panel with roundel. Each flanking bay has a single tripartite sash with cornice, and above, strapwork panel with roundel and above, small blocked light. To left, 5 plain sashes and single mullioned window; to right, 6 plain sashes and single mullioned window. Beyond, to left, coursed squared rubble boundary wall with ramped coping, containing 2 chamfered doorways and single square pier with obelisk finial; beyond, to right, single bay link to station house with single plain sash. Station house, 2 storeys plus garrets, 3 bays, L-plan, has first floor band, 3 shaped coped gables, 2 gable and single roof stacks. Projecting bay to left has large central plain sash flanked by single smaller sashes, with surround with diced pilasters, blocked frieze and moulded cornice. To right, 2 plain sashes. Above, to left, plain sash with hood mould, and to right, 3 plain sashes. Above again, shaped gable with small light and obelisk finial. To right again, 2 single storey ranges of different heights, 7 bays. 2 shaped coped gables, single gable and single rear wall stacks. Off-centre projecting bay has 2 plain sashes with intermediate pilaster and quoins, frieze and cornice. Above, broken pediment with segmental centre section and ball finial. To left, 3 plain sashes and to right, 2 plain sashes and doorway. Above, to right, flat roofed dormer with 3 casements. Beyond again, coped boundary wall. Platform side has late C19 glazed iron canopies and footbridge. Up side has single storey range with coped parapet.
Listing NGR: SK5853979758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings