History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Farm with Attached Farmyard Wall and Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2874 / 53°17'14"N

Longitude: -1.1373 / 1°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 457611

OS Northings: 377065

OS Grid: SK576770

Mapcode National: GBR NZHF.L8

Mapcode Global: WHDF7.HMNN

Entry Name: Castle Farm with Attached Farmyard Wall and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Last Amended: 1 April 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241251

Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Town: Bassetlaw

District Council Ward: Worksop South

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Listing Text

SK 57 NE WORKSOP CASTLE FARM LANE

3/44 Castle Farm with
13.2.67 attached Farmyard wall
and outbuildings. (Formerly
listed under Workshop Manor)

II*

Farmhouse and Garden folly, 1758. Preputedly designed by the
Duchess of Norfolk with the assistance of James Paine in the
Gothick style. Coursed rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings.
Slate roofs. Quoins. Ashlar plinth, plain ground floor band and
moulded first floor band. All topped with coped battlements.
Courtyard plan. The north range has a central 2 storey, 5 bay
pavilion with a central 2 storey canted bay window. The central
opening, once a doorway, has a Gothick ogeee double arch moulded
surround with a glazing bar sash, either side are single similar
sashes with moulded ogee heads, and beyond single ogee headed
niches. Above, 5 smaller glazing bar sashes with 4 centred
arched heads. This pavillion is linked by walls to flanking
stepped gable pavillions. Each with a single ogee headed glazing
bar sash, and above a blank quatrefoil, all within a large flush
pointed arch. These pavilions are in turn linked by walls to
single corner overs. These 2 storey towers have single ogee
headed blank openings with quatrofoils above. The east and west
ranges have high boundary walls with central and corner slightly
projecting towers. The south range has corner towers, and single
lean-to cart sheds either side of the central gateway. The
interior of the courtyard contains various C20 buildings of no
interest. The interior of the central pavilion has a large
ground floor banqueting room with ogee headed windows and door
surrounds, a 4 centred arch into the bay and a plaster vault
ceiling with ornate foliate corbels.


Listing NGR: SK5761177065

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.