History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke the Evangelist, and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shireoaks, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3225 / 53°19'21"N

Longitude: -1.1701 / 1°10'12"W

OS Eastings: 455376

OS Northings: 380940

OS Grid: SK553809

Mapcode National: GBR NZ80.GP

Mapcode Global: WHDF1.0R28

Entry Name: Church of St Luke the Evangelist, and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 1 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045052

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241210

Location: Shireoaks, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Shireoaks

Built-Up Area: Shireoaks

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop Christ Church and Shireoaks

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Listing Text

SK 58 SE SHIREOAKS SHIREOAKS COMMON
(East side)

1/2 Church of St.Luke
the Evangelist,
and boundary wall

G.V. II

Parish church. Decorated style. 1861-63 by T. C. Hine for fifth
Duke of Newcastle. Rockfaced ashlar with banded slate and slab
roofs; ashlar dressings, chamfered plinth, moulded sill, lintel
and eaves bands. All openings have hood moulds with ornamental
stops. Lateral and diagonal buttresses and coped gables with
kneelers throughout. Nave, apsidal chancel, aisles, transepts,
north and south porches, crossing tower with stair turret. Nave
clerestorey, 4 bays, has on each side 4 double lancets with four
centred arched heads. West end has central buttress with
inscribed panel and above, gabled shrine containing figure,
flanked by single cusped lancets and above again, circular
window. Chancel has 4 nodal buttresses and 5 cusped double
lancets. South aisle has 3 decorated lancets and similar lancet
in west end. North aisle identical. Single bay south transept
has gabled roof running into lean-to against tower. South side
has spherical triangle window, and to right, doorway. East end
has single lancet. Similar north transept has large coped
flanking buttresses adjoining tower, that to left carrying
octagonal chimney. Porches have moulded doorways and a single
lancet on each side. 3 stage crossing tower has 2 string
courses, 4 gargoyles and coped parapet; spire removed 1973.
Circular stair turret to east. First stage has 2 lancets on
north and south sides; second stage has clock on north and south
sides; third stage has on each side a double lancet bell opening
with single shafts. Nave arcades, 4 bays, have round piers with
round bases and capitals, chamfered arches and hood moulds.
Kingpost roof with stencilled decoration. Crossing has east and
west arches with cove, roll and filletted moulding and hood
moulds. Triple marble shaft responds with foliate capitals and
angel corbels. Pair of corner shafts with similar capitals.
Western arch has 7 bay iron screen. Crossing has on each side
an archway containing 4-panelled traceried screens with doors.
Stencilled panelled ceiling with gilt bosses. Chancel has
alabaster and marble inlaid panelling and elaborate Decorated.
style credence, gabled reredos and crocketted gabled sedilia; 5
stained glass windows, all in memory of Henry Pelham, fifth Duke
of Newcastle, 1865. South aisle has organ at east end. North
aisle east end has elaborately stencilled ceiling to lady chapel.
Fittings include plain pews and panelled benches; inscribed
octagonal font with octagonal stem and 8 minor shafts; carved,
painted and gilt ashlar pulpit; brass eagle lectern on ringed
shaft. 2 brasses to Duke of Newcastle, 1865, single brass, 1900,
war memorial brass on south wall. Outside, boundary wall along
Shireoaks Common and Shireoaks Road, approx. 150 M long, in 2
sections. Coursed squared rubble and rounded ashlar coping. 2
wrought iron gates, one with chamfered square piers and both with
pyramidal caps.


Listing NGR: SK5537680940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.