History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Serlby Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Blyth, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3971 / 53°23'49"N

Longitude: -1.0472 / 1°2'49"W

OS Eastings: 463455

OS Northings: 389342

OS Grid: SK634893

Mapcode National: GBR PY44.2Y

Mapcode Global: WHFFT.WWJ2

Entry Name: Serlby Hall

Listing Date: 4 January 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045126

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241080

Location: Blyth, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Blyth

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Scrooby with Ranskill

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Bawtry

Listing Text

SK 68 NW BLYTH SERLBY HALL DRIVE
(south side)

2/52 Serlby Hall
4.1.52
G.V. I

Large Country House, c.1751-1777 for the 2nd Viscount Galway by
James Paine. Remodelled in 1812 by Lindley and Woodhead when the
wings were demolished, the central block extended by an addition
of 2 bays to either side and the attic raised. Early C20 east
entrance wing. Red brick and ashlar. Hipped slate roof, 6
rendered stacks. Ashlar cornice and chamfered projecting ashlar
quoins. The south front, of basement plus 2.1/2 storeys and 9
bays with single storey flanking wings, has an ashlar pediment
topping the slightly projecting central 3 bays and a 1st floor
ashlar band. The half sunk, sligtly projecting, ashlar basement
has 8 glazing bar sashes. The central doorway and portico has a
flight of steps, with single orbs at the corners of the 2nd step
up, leading to a double half-glazed door with traceried
overlight, flanked by single flat ashlar piers, single tall
fixed lights with glazing bars and single pilasters. The portico
comprises 2 pairs of Tuscan columns supporting an entablature
with wrought iron balustrade over. Either side of the doorway
are 4 glazing bar sashes each with an ashlar balustraded sill and
ashlar jambs and architrave. The single windows flanking the
doorway are plain, but are set in relieving rusticated ashlar
arches. Above are 9 glazing bar sashes. The central sash,
with ashlar surround, is set in a brick relieving arch which
rises above the attic window. Flanking the arch are single Ionic
pilasters with fluted capitals, there are further similar, single
pilasters marking the extent of the projecting bays. All 4 rest
on the 1st floor band and support the podium. The top floor has
8 smaller glazing bar sashes, the central sash having an ashlar
surround with slightly projecting hood, the sill is supported on
small ashlar brackets. To the right is a single storey brick
wing with ashlar cornice hiding the roof line. Set on a shallow
plinth with 3 glazing bar sashes in relieving arches this wing
contains the chapel. To its right is a heightened, ashlar
coped, brick wall with a horizontal fixed light, this slopes down
to the garden wall. The left single storey coursed rubble wing,
with ashlar cornice hiding the roof line, is set on a shallow
plinth with 3 glazing bar sashes. The west front has minor
single and 2 storey extensions. The north front of 2.1/2
storeys and 9 bays with ashlar cornice and chamfered projecting
ashlar quoins has an ashlar pediment topping the slightly
projecting central 3 bays. Similar quoins flank these bays.
The 3 bays on either side each have a 1st floor ashlar band. The
basement corresponds to the south front, but with 5 sashes only.
The central ground floor arched and recessed glazing bar sash
window is to Paine's design The ashlar arch over the window is
supported on a ,single pair of Ionic coluns, flanked by further
single attached Ionic half pilasters, with shaped bases. Either
side are 4 glazing bar sashes with ashlar jambs and architrave.
All ground floor windows have an ashlar balustraded sill. Above
are 9 glazing bar sashes, the central window,under a flat
head has ashlar jambs and architrave. On the top floor are
9 smaller glazing bar sashes. Projecting from the left is the
early C20 single storey red brick entrance wing with ashlar
cornice and chamfered projecting ashlar quoins. To its north
front is a Venetian window with balustraded sill, to the east
front is the portico. Interior. Staircase hall with
cantilevered staircase of 1812 with wrought iron balustrade. The
landing has Paine's screen of columns with decorated capitals.
The dining room, on the north side has a plasterwork ceiling with
paintings attributed to Zucchi, an inlaid and carved marble
fireplace and a doorcase with fluted Ionic half columns. The
C18 style wall decoration is early C20. Also to Paine's designs
are the coffered ceiling and marbled fireplace in the small
drawing room. The drawing room has a screen of fluted Corinthian
columns, a fireplace with Bacchic carving removed from a house in
Hanover Square and a decorated plaster ceiling. The library has
early C19 bookcases. The chapel remodelled in the early C20,
contains oak panelling from Hodroyd Hall. Country Life March
26th - April 9th, 1959.


Listing NGR: SK6345589342

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.