History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Babworth Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Babworth, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3221 / 53°19'19"N

Longitude: -0.9705 / 0°58'13"W

OS Eastings: 468673

OS Northings: 381071

OS Grid: SK686810

Mapcode National: GBR PZN0.PT

Mapcode Global: WHFG8.2R4K

Entry Name: Babworth Hall

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241029

Location: Babworth, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Babworth

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Babworth

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
East Retford

Listing Text

SK 68 SE BABWORTH BABWORTH HALL
DRIVE
(west side )

6/1 Babworth Hall
28.2.52
G.V. II

Country House. Mid C18. In 1790, for John Bridgeman Simpson,
the brick was whitened by Repton, who also laid out the grounds.
In 1850 William Burn restored the red brick and carried out other
alterations to the windows and parapet. Mid C20 much of the rear
and service wings demolished. Red brick and ashlar. Slate roofs
the left wing being hipped, the right pyramidal. 3 yellow brick
stacks. Ashlar parapet and moulded cornice. 2.1/2 storeys, 5
bays, flanked by 3 storey single bay slightly projecting wings
with ashlar quoins. Set on an ashlar plinth with 1st and 2nd
floor ashlar bands. Central doorway, having a 6 panelled door
with fluted surround to each panel and corner patera, with trace-
ried overlight. Flanked by single C20 Doric pilasters supporting
a slightly projecting pediment. Either side are 2 glazing bar
sashes with further single, larger glazing bar sashes in the
outer wings. Above are 6 similar smaller sashes, the central 4
being slightly smaller, with 6 similar, smaller sashes on the top
floor, following the same pattern. All windows have lugged
architrave surrounds with single flush quoins in each jamb and at
the base. On the ground, in front of the 2nd bay in are single
ashlar orbs. Projecting from the plinth, either side of the
doorway are single ashlar blocks supporting C20 urns.


Listing NGR: SK6867381071

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.