This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3393 / 53°20'21"N
Longitude: -0.9388 / 0°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 470756
OS Northings: 383013
OS Grid: SK707830
Mapcode National: GBR PYWT.KN
Mapcode Global: WHFG8.KB5C
Entry Name: Bolham Hall
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Last Amended: 5 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240985
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford East
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Retford Team
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
(formerly listed as Bolham Hall
and Bolham Hall Farm)
SK 78 SW 6/38 14.9.49.
Shall be replaced by:-
SK 78 SW
6/38 Bolham Hall and Bolham
House, now two dwellings. Mid-C18, altered and extended in the C19, and sub-divided in the C20.
MATERIALS: Red brick with painted stone dressings, coped gables and rendered gable chimney stacks, those to the north end projecting from the gable brickwork. The roof covering is of clay pantiles.
PLAN: Double pile plan, with a gabled extension to the rear (west) range at its southern end. The original interior plan has been altered as a consequence of the sub-division of the building.
EXTERIOR: The east front is a symmetrical composition of three stories and five bays, with a central doorway flanked by six over six pane glazing bar sash windows. The doorway has a wooden doorcase beneath a shallow pediment, a half-glazed door and a fanlight with intersecting tracery. The ground and first floor window openings have flat gauged brick arched heads with painted keystones. The shallower upper floor openngs have replacement C20 two-light casement frames, set beneath a modillion cornice. The storey levels are delineated by painted band courses. The rear (west) elevation is plainly detailed, with segmental arch-headed window openings and C20 casement frames. The upper floor has paired single light openings to each bay and to the upper floor of the gabled wing to the south end. Extensions to the north end gables are not of special interest.
INTERIOR: The east front range has a turned baluster staircase with a moulded and ramped handrail extending to the first floor landing, where the stair becomes much more plainly detailed. The stair is supported by a tapered square timber column. The ground and first floor rooms retain panelled doors, window shutters and hearth surrounds which are mainly of C19 date. The interior of the rear range was not inspected.
HISTORY: The history of the building is not well documented before 1828. However John Piercy's 'History of Retford' of that year refers to a manor at Bolham owned by the Thorold family and previously by Francis Wortley. White's 'Directory and Gazetteer of Nottinghamshire' of 1853 refers to Bolham Hall as 'a neat farmhouse with 150 acres of land...This manor...was granted by Henry VIII to Sir Robert Swift, with whose heirs it remained till 1651, when it was conveyed to Francis Wortley Esq. It is not known when the sub-division of the house took place.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION
Bolham Hall, including Bolham Hall Farmhouse is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Architectural Interest: The building is a well-preserved example of a substantial Georgian farmhouse with a carefully proportioned principal elevation and good surviving interior detail, including a turned baluster staircase, panelled doors and window shutters and a number of C19 hearth surrounds.
Listing NGR: SK7080483008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings