History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Sebastopol Cannon Includng Lamp Arch, Supporting Plinth and Iron Posts with Chains Surrounding It

A Grade II Listed Building in Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3238 / 53°19'25"N

Longitude: -0.9418 / 0°56'30"W

OS Eastings: 470583

OS Northings: 381285

OS Grid: SK705812

Mapcode National: GBR PZV0.X7

Mapcode Global: WHFG8.HQR8

Entry Name: The Sebastopol Cannon Includng Lamp Arch, Supporting Plinth and Iron Posts with Chains Surrounding It

Listing Date: 5 November 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045169

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240901

Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Town: Bassetlaw

Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford West

Built-Up Area: Retford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Retford Team

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
East Retford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/10/2014


SK 7081 SE 1/101
5345

CHURCHGATE (East Side),
The Sebastopol Cannon including the Lamp arch, supporting plinth and iron posts with chains surrounding it


II GV

C19 cannon on wood carriage attached to 2 stone steps and beneath iron overthrow with street lamp. Surround of chain guard and iron posts. Cannon bears inscription 'Captured Sevastopol 1855'. After the end of the Crimean War in 1856 captured ordnance was made available by the government as trophies. Retford applied, and in April 1858 a 24-pounder was delivered by rail. It was given the name ‘The Earl of Aberdeen’. The Cannon was officially unveiled on the 17 February 1859 by Gunner Cole (of the Royal Artillery). The cannon was removed during the scrap drive of the Second World War, but was rescued by Mr R.G. Bradshaw (Alderman of Retford). The cannon was reinstated after the Second World War, set on a new wooden gun carriage, being officially unveiled on the 29 March 1950 by the Mayor of Retford, Councillor T. Richmond.


Forms a visual group with Nos 1 to 33 (odd) and Nos 2 to 14 (even) Chapelgate.


Listing NGR: SK7058381285

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.