History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Slaley, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9145 / 54°54'52"N

Longitude: -2.0435 / 2°2'36"W

OS Eastings: 397306

OS Northings: 557758

OS Grid: NY973577

Mapcode National: GBR GC5M.C2

Mapcode Global: WHB2L.LQ3T

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240678

Location: Slaley, Northumberland, NE47

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Slaley

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Slaley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Slaley

Listing Text

SLALEY SLALEY VILLAGE
NY 95 NE (North side)

9/307 Church of St. Mary.

15.4.69

GV II


Parish Church on medieval site, 1832 by Milton Carr; south porch and angle
buttresses 1907. Squared stone (coursed rubble on north) with raised quoins
and tooled ashlar dressings; slate roof. Nave with south porch and north
vestry, chancel Simple Gothic style. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses,
coped gables with moulded kneelers.

Nave has south porch with double doors under 5-pane fanlight in pointed arch
with spiral stops to hoodmould; coped gable with foliate cross finial. East
of porch 2 broad pointed windows in double-chamfered raised surrounds, similar
window in west end. On north of nave, blocked windows (to former gallery)on
either side of vestry; at south-west corner of vestry tall stack with
pedimented cap. Vestry has 16-pane sash in alternating-block surround on
east, with 9-pane sash in stone surround above; corniced stack on north gable.
Chancel has 2 windows on south similar to those in nave, and triplet of broad
lancets to east; finial cross on east gable.

Interior: Wide stilted segmental chancel arch of 1 chamfered order. Pulpit
of 1907 with pierced traceried panels and handrail; cornice with carved foliage.
Similar chancel screen. West window 1st World War memorial glass (soldiers
through the ages) by A.L. Moore and Son; similar glass in south-east window of
chancel.


Listing NGR: NY9730657758


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.