History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Granary Cottage and Adjacent Farmbuilding Range to North of Black Hedley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8624 / 54°51'44"N

Longitude: -1.9163 / 1°54'58"W

OS Eastings: 405471

OS Northings: 551964

OS Grid: NZ054519

Mapcode National: GBR HD16.XR

Mapcode Global: WHB31.J1PQ

Entry Name: Granary Cottage and Adjacent Farmbuilding Range to North of Black Hedley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240621

Location: Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland, DH8

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Shotley Low Quarter

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Shotley St John

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Edmondbyers

Listing Text

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER BLACK HEDLEY
NZ 05 SE

23/250 Granary Cottage
and adjacent farm-
building range to
north of Black
Hedley farmhouse.

GV II


Farmbuildings, 1750 (dated lintel to Dog House, with initials H.H
(Humphrey Hopper). Coursed rubble with dressings; slate roof to barn,
stone slates to Dog House, C20 grey tiles to Granary Cottage; brick
stack. Elevation to courtyard: right part (shelter shed with granary,
now Granary Cottage, over) 2 storeys, 5 bays, irregular. Arcade of 4
segmental brick arches, partly removed by C20 garage door; to left a
boarded door in stone surround. 2 stone-surround windows above. Right
gable coped with moulded kneelers and end stack. Right return shows
stone-surround windows. Taller barn to left behind cross-gabled 1 storey
Dog House (former stable) with boarded door in chamfered surround
flanked by square-headed recesses on right return. Barn has pent outshut
with 12-pane fixed window; coped gables with moulded kneelers. Left
return shows boarded lst-floor window in stone surround. Rear of barn
shows attached engine house with blocked door dated 1801 on east; end
wall of engine house removed.


Listing NGR: NZ0547151964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.