History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Mill 30 Metres South West of Linnels Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hexhamshire Low Quarter, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9493 / 54°56'57"N

Longitude: -2.0721 / 2°4'19"W

OS Eastings: 395479

OS Northings: 561626

OS Grid: NY954616

Mapcode National: GBR FCZ6.6M

Mapcode Global: WHB2D.4VKP

Entry Name: Old Mill 30 Metres South West of Linnels Bridge

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 26 April 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240581

Location: Hexhamshire Low Quarter, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Hexhamshire Low Quarter

Civil Parish/community: Hexhamshire

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Hexham

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Hexham

Listing Text

HEXHAMSHIRE LOW QUARTER

1616/3/211 B 6306
19-JUL-01 LINNELS
(South side)
OLD MILL 30 METRES SOUTH WEST OF LINNE
LS BRIDGE

(Formerly listed as:
B 3606
LINNELS
OLD MILL 30 METRES SOUTH WEST OF LINNE
LS BRIDGE (PREVIOUSLY INCORRECTLY LIST
ED IN CORBRIDGE CP AS CORBRIDGE MILL))
(Formerly listed as:
B 3606
LINNELS
CORBRIDGE MILL)

GV II*

Water Mill and outbuilding. c. 1700, enlarged and remodelled c. 1800. Rubble with some dressings; stone slate roof.
Original rectangular building has later east outshut, south-west wing and
lower wheelhouse at south end.
South elevation: end of original block shows boarded stable door under timber lintel and l6-pane Yorkshire sash above and to left, in gable. To left, at lower level, end of outshut has fixed 12-pane casement. Set back to right, low wing has small window with timber lintel.
Rear elevation: 2 small windows in end of original block above wheelhouse,
which has doorway with tooled lintel, small window; and round-arched tail
goit on right return.
INTERIOR; has exceptionally complete set of milling machinery mostly early- and mid-C19. Large timber water wheel with cast-iron bracing and bolts, cast-iron pit wheel and shaft. Two millstones in wooden housing with cast-iron bracing. Unusual pearl barley machine with cast-iron wheels and gearing. Rare oat roasting kiln, again with cast-iron shafts and gearing. Early C20 water turbine inserted between wheel spokes to generate electricity for the former millhouse.
HISTORY; mill on site since C14; last used c.1890.


Listing NGR: NY9548061625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.