This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8544 / 54°51'15"N
Longitude: -2.0647 / 2°3'52"W
OS Eastings: 395945
OS Northings: 551068
OS Grid: NY959510
Mapcode National: GBR GD09.SM
Mapcode Global: WHB2Z.872W
Entry Name: Engine House to Former Lead Mine
Listing Date: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240392
Location: Blanchland, Northumberland, DH8
Civil Parish: Blanchland
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blanchland with Hunstanworth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 95 SE NY 95945106
15/25 Engine house to
former leasd mine
Engine house of Cornish type, early C19. South face tooled-and-margined stone,
remainder coursed rubble with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings. Tower-
like square structure of 3 stages divided by chamfered set-backs. South face
has tall round-headed arch and remains of larger opening with later blocking
above. Several square-headed openings on west, square-headed doorway on west
and window in gable. Attached building on east largely fallen except for tall
square chimney, a stepped 6-stage stack.
The engine,pumping water from Shildon lead mine is known to have been working
by 1840; later in the C19 it became disused and the engine house was modified
to house several families. Now locally known as 'Shildon Castle'.
Listing NGR: NY9594551068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings