This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9478 / 54°56'52"N
Longitude: -1.9729 / 1°58'22"W
OS Eastings: 401830
OS Northings: 561460
OS Grid: NZ018614
Mapcode National: GBR GCN7.N4
Mapcode Global: WHB2F.NWPT
Entry Name: Wellington Inn
Listing Date: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045389
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240418
Location: Broomhaugh and Riding, Northumberland, NE44
Civil Parish: Broomhaugh and Riding
Built-Up Area: Riding Mill
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St James, Riding Mill
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BROOMHAUGH AND RIDING A 695 Riding Mill
22/51 Wellington Inn
Inn, formerly house, dated 1660 with initials T.B. on lintel. Altered late
C18 and extended to east c.1812. Stone, mostly rendered, with raised quoins
and dressings; slate roof. 3 storeys, 4 bays. Earlier 3-bay part to left
has right-of-centre panelled double doors in hollow-chamfered surround; dated
lintel with arms of Errington impaling Carnaby, hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds.
Flanking C20 casements in old openings with similar hoodmoulds. Upper floors
have 12-pane sashes with raised lintels and sills. Right (east) bay has
margined sash with blocked door to left; similar window above and paired
8-pane sashes to 2nd floor, all windows in raised and tooled surrounds. Coped
gables, stepped and corniced left end and ridge stacks. 4-step mounting block
to left of door. C20 single-storey extension to far right, not of interest.
2-storey outshut to rear, altered fenestration.
Interior much altered. 2 C17 fireplaces on 1st floor; flat-pointed arches
in square frames, wave-moulded surrounds.
Built as The Riding House by Thomas Errington, postmaster of Newcastle under
the Commonwealth (initials on door lintel recut by Thomas Browell, a later
tenant). In 1673 the scene of alleged witches' gatherings.
Listing NGR: NZ0183061460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings