This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9199 / 54°55'11"N
Longitude: -2.3476 / 2°20'51"W
OS Eastings: 377818
OS Northings: 558410
OS Grid: NY778584
Mapcode National: GBR DC1K.K4
Mapcode Global: WH919.XL8P
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 24 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240326
Location: Plenmeller with Whitfield, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: Plenmeller with Whitfield
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whitfield and Ninebanks
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 75 NE PLENMELLER WITH WHITFIELD WHITFIELD, ST. JOHNS
8/209 Church of St. John
Former parish church c.1790, reduced in size 1859, refenestrated late Cl9.
Squared stone, rubble on north; tooled and margined quoins, stone dressings.
Grey slate roof. Single-bay nave and slightly narrower single-bay chancel.
West end has hinged doors in re-set late C18 pointed arch with tooled stone
surround, flanked by stubs of former nave. Bellcote with pointed-arched
opening on gable. South wall of nave has 3-light window with simple panel
tracery under 4-centred arch with hoodmould; similar 2-light window on south
side of chancel. East end has 3-light window in C14 style. North wall
Interior: late C18 pointed chancel arch of plain square section with impost
blocks. Chancel has Cl9 boarded ceiling with pierced and cusped arch braces
springing from wall shafts. Panelled dado in nave. Late C18 baluster font.
On north side of sanctuary lower part of elaborate coped C12 grave cover with
lombardic inscription on ridge flanked by overlapping tiers of acanthus leaves
cut in high relief. 4 early Cl9 wall tablets.
The church of c.1790, which replaced a medieval building, originally had a
4-bay nave and a west tower. The stone of the demolished section was re-used
in Holy Trinity Church (q.v.).
Listing NGR: NY7781858410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings