History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burgage Manor and Attached Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0798 / 53°4'47"N

Longitude: -0.9513 / 0°57'4"W

OS Eastings: 470348

OS Northings: 354129

OS Grid: SK703541

Mapcode National: GBR BJY.SDF

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.CV7C

Entry Name: Burgage Manor and Attached Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242296

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

BURGAGE GREEN
SK7054
1919-0/7/6 (North West side)
07/08/52 Burgage Manor and attached boundary
wall

GV II

House and attached boundary wall. Late C18. Stucco with hipped
slate roof. Plinth, double first floor band, deep eaves, 2
ridge stacks. Windows are glazing bar sashes of various forms.
3 storeys; 3 window range. Front has a slightly projecting
pedimented centre with a central tripartite sash flanked by
single sashes. Above it, a similar sash with a segmental
head,flanked by single sashes. Central Classical porch with 4
columns on pedestals, and entablature. Beneath it, a
half-glazed door with paired flanking lights. To left, single
storey hipped service wing with a ridge stack. Attached dwarf
boundary wall, formerly carrying a railing, has a square pier
at the left end. This house was the home of Lord Byron's
mother, and Byron probably lived here as a child c1810.


Listing NGR: SK7034854129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.