This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0806 / 53°4'50"N
Longitude: -0.9497 / 0°56'58"W
OS Eastings: 470452
OS Northings: 354225
OS Grid: SK704542
Mapcode National: GBR BJY.SVB
Mapcode Global: WHFHF.DT0P
Entry Name: Gateway to Former House of Correction and Adjoining House to Left (2)
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Last Amended: 20 May 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045460
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242300
Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Southwell
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
1919-0/7/10 (North West side)
07/08/52 Gateway to former House of
Correction and adjoining house to
(Formerly Listed as:
The Lace Factory)
Formerly known as: The front of the Old Jail.
Formerly known as: Messrs. Carew & Sons War Memorial.
Gateway to former House of Correction, now a house, the front
dedicated as a war memorial c1919, and adjoining house to
left. Gateway 1807. By Richard Ingleman. Adjoining house
c1870. Ashlar and brick, with hipped slate roofs. Single side
wall stack. Lofty single storey front has has rusticated
quoins and entablature. Projecting rusticated central feature
with round headed arch containing a heavily rusticated doorway
with a bronze memorial plaque inscribed "Carey & Sons Ltd.,
Southwell" and wrought iron railing. Above the door, a dummy
portcullis. Rear elevation, 2 storeys, 5 windows, has central
canted 2 storey bay window. Central C20 Gothick door. Windows
are mainly plain sashes. Adjoining house, brick with stone,
blue and yellow brick dressings. Chamfered plinth, cogged
first floor band, polychrome dentilled eaves, 2 side wall and
single rear wall stacks. 2 storeys; 4 window range. Off-centre
2-storey projecting bay with flanking buttresses and
pedimented gable, with a pair of round headed plain sashes.
Below, a moulded round headed doorway with dentilled imposts
and overlight. Diamond raised panelled door. On either side on
each floor, a round-cornered plain sash. To right,a hipped
2-storey projection with a single plain sash on each floor,
the lower one segment headed. In the return angle, a C20
segment headed door.
Listing NGR: SK7045254225
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings