This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0783 / 53°4'41"N
Longitude: -0.9497 / 0°56'58"W
OS Eastings: 470458
OS Northings: 353970
OS Grid: SK704539
Mapcode National: GBR BK4.0PZ
Mapcode Global: WHFHF.DW0G
Entry Name: Hill House
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242309
Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Southwell
Built-Up Area: Southwell
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
1919-0/11/19 (South side)
11/08/61 Hill House
House, now a school boarding house. Dated 1800 on rainwater
head, with mid C19 and late C19 additions. Built for the Rev.
J T Becher. Brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roofs.
Plinth, first floor and sill bands, dentilled eaves. 5 ridge
stacks. 3 storeys. Main east front has a projecting pedimented
centre and a range of 5 glazing bar sashes. Above, 5 similar
smaller sashes. All these have multi-keystoned heads. Below,
to left, a canted parapeted bay window dated 1857 on rainwater
head, with 3 plain sashes. To right, 3 plain sashes with
multi-keystoned heads. Northern entrance front has to left a
projecting wing with 3 windows, the 2 to left being blank.
Above, similar fenestration with smaller windows. On the
ground floor, 2 blanks to the left and 2 glazing bar sashes to
the right. To the right, a 3-bay range of glazing bar sashes,
and above, 3 smaller sashes. Below, to left, a flat roofed
porch with Tuscan columns and entablature, covering a mid C19
half-glazed door with flanking lights and overlight. To the
right, a tripartite and a single sash. To right again, a set
back 2-storey service wing, pebbledashed. 2 plain sashes and
below, a panelled door with overlight, and to right, a glazing
bar sash. All windows to this front have keystoned lintels.
South side has 2 hipped blocks each of 3 windows. To the
right, a mid C19 parapeted single storey addition with an
angled corner and 3 plain sashes. To its right, a late C19
hipped loggia with 2 stone columns. Interior has a central
stairwell with a cantilever stone staircase, the top flight
wood, with moulded string, stick balusters and ramped and
scrolled handrail. C19 glazed toplight. Panelled and moulded
round headed openings on the north side. Dining room, to left
of east front, has moulded wall panels and cornice and
Classical wooden fireplace with fluted piers. John Thomas
Becher was prebendary of South Muskham, 1819-1848, and was a
prominent worker in Poor Law reform.
Listing NGR: SK7045853970
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings