This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1865 / 53°11'11"N
Longitude: -1.0925 / 1°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 460740
OS Northings: 365868
OS Grid: SK607658
Mapcode National: GBR 9G8.6LW
Mapcode Global: WHFGZ.651J
Entry Name: Archway House
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242213
Location: Clipstone, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG21
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Clipstone
Civil Parish/community: Kings Clipstone
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Clipstone
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
CLIPSTONE off MANSFIELD ROAD
SK 66 NW
3/1 Archway House
Hunting lodge. Later a school and now 2 dwellings. 1844. By
Hurst and Moffatt for the Duke of Portland. Gothic style. Near-
replica of the Gatehouse at Worksop Priory. Ashlar with plain
tile roof, c.1983. Chamfered and moulded plinth, first floor
and eaves bands, parapet and moulded coped gables with dogtooth.
2 grouped ridge stacks. 2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays.
Symmetrical H-plan. 2 corner and 2 intermediate buttresses each
side. Windows are Decorated style lancets with square heads in
segmental headed openings with hood moulds and stops. North and
south fronts have central pointed archway with clustered shaft
responds, flanked by single projecting bay windows with diagonal
buttresses, coped gables and tympani containing sculptured hares.
Each has a triple lancet with flowing tracery. Above, central
transomed 6 light lancet flanked by single niches with figures.
Beyond, a double lancet. Above again, central gable containing
niche with figure and above it, a trefoil light. Identical east
and west ends have each a central studded door with hood mould.
Above, round plaque with hood mould and border inscribed (to
east) 'Tu secanda Marmora locas sub ipsum funus' and (to west)
'Sepulchri Immemor Struis Domos'. Each contains a shield
inscribed 'A D 1842 D P Aet. 74'. Below central archway,
moulded timber ceiling with arch braces on corbels. Interior has
winder stairs, 7 doors with lancet panels, Classical style hob
grate in chamfered surround. Central hall has principal rafter
roof with arch braces carrying matchboarded pointed vault.
Listing NGR: SK6074065868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings