History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Budby Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Perlethorpe cum Budby, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.223 / 53°13'22"N

Longitude: -1.0714 / 1°4'17"W

OS Eastings: 462095

OS Northings: 369950

OS Grid: SK620699

Mapcode National: GBR 9FP.ZYC

Mapcode Global: WHFGS.J811

Entry Name: Budby Castle

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Last Amended: 20 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045478

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242245

Location: Perlethorpe cum Budby, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Perlethorpe cum Budby

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Perlethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Ollerton

Listing Text

PERLETHORPE off MAIN STREET
SK 66 NW
CUM BUDBY (formerly Carburton
Road) (east side)
3/103 Budby Castle (Formerly listed
11.8.61 under Budby)

II

Eye catcher and estate cottage. 1789. Possibly by John Carr for
the Earl Manvers. Dressed stone and brick, with slate roofs.
Ashlar dressings. Castellated style. 3 stacks in corner towers.
Plinth, moulded string course and eaves, crenellated parapet. 2
storeys, 3 unequal bays. 2 square blocks with round corner
towers. Windows are Gothick, Moorish and plain casements.
Square windows have projecting architraves. Most windows have
hood moulds. Main north front has to left, crenellated screen
wall with a hatch. To its right, 2 storey block has to left
octagonal corner tower, central square tower and to right, square
corner tower. To left, pointed door with hood mould. To right,
Gothick casement. Above, to left, unglazed opening. To its
right, casement and to right again, Moorish casement. Taller
block, to right again, has 4 crenellated 3 storey corner towers
with blind crosslets. Central Gothick casement flanked by single
Moorish casements. Above, central casement flanked by single
Moorish arched openings. West front has central blank pointed
opening flanked by single Moorish arched openings, that to right
with casement. Above, blank central panel flanked by single
Moorish casements. South front has to left, pointed opening with
inserted French window. Flanked to left by pointed glazed door
with Gothick overlight, and to right by C20 casement. Above,
central square casement flanked by single Moorish casements. To
right, wall with pointed glazed door with Gothick overlight.
Above, a square casement. Projecting lower block to right, has
square corner towers, that to west with a casement. Large C20
casement and above, central Moorish casement. Adjoining small
boundary wall has chamfered coping. To right again, C19
outbuildings, single storey, 4 bays. To east, 2 pairs of garage
doors and to right, square hatch. This building is part of the
complete Estate Village laid out by Earl Manvers of Thoresby Park
1807-1812.


Listing NGR: SK6209569950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.