History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Swithin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirklington, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1113 / 53°6'40"N

Longitude: -0.9868 / 0°59'12"W

OS Eastings: 467919

OS Northings: 357608

OS Grid: SK679576

Mapcode National: GBR 9H5.WX1

Mapcode Global: WHFHD.T283

Entry Name: Church of St Swithin

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242167

Location: Kirklington, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Kirklington

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Kirklington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Farnsfield

Listing Text

SK 65 NE KIRKLINGTON NEWARK ROAD
(south side)
3/112
Church of
St. Swithin
11.8.61

G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17, early C19, restored 1873-4,
interior restored 1892, C20. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble,
red brick, some render. Slate roofs. Coped east nave and east
chancel with single ridge cross to east chancel. Buttressed.
Tower, nave, south porch, south vestry and chancel. C17 tower in
the main of brick. Set on a chamfered plinth, buttressed with
single diagonal buttress to the north of 2 stages with band,
embattled with single crocketed pinnacles at the angles. The
west side has a blocked double chamfered arched brick doorway.
Above is a single C17 window with 3 arched ights under a flat
arch and Tudor hood mould, all in rendered surround. Over is a
single arched light with rendered surround. The north side has a
single small rectangular light. Projecting from the south side
is a brick and dressed coursed rubble lean-to with brick roof and
dogtooth eaves. Rising from the right side of this is a large
stair turret with 2 rectangular lights and sundial to the south
side and single similar light to the east. Projecting from the
lean-to is a further brick and slate lean-to. The 4 bell
chamber openings each have a single pair of arched lights in
rendered surround. Over is the early C19 stage with, on each
side, a single large quatrefoil opening in rendered surround.
Under the north bell chamber is a single clock face. The north
nave is set on a deep chamfered plinth, being rendered above with
brick and ashlar buttresses. Pointed chamfered arched C13
doorway with hoodmould and human head label stops. To the left
are 2 arched C19 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould
and label stops. The chancel, rebuilt 1873-4 is set on a shallow
chamfered plinth. The north wall has 2 arched C19 2 light
windows with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The
east wall has a single arched 4 light C15 window with cusped
panel tracery. Adjacent to this wall are 15 C18 and C19
headstones. The south wall has a single arched restored C14 3
light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. To
the left is a C20 projecting vestry with coped gable and
kneelers. The south wall of this has a crudely carved C12
lintel, above is a single rectangular light. The south nave is
set on a deep chamfered plinth, being rendered above with brick
and ashlar buttresses. 2 arched C19 3 light windows with cusped
tracery, hood mould and label stops. Adjacent the east bay of
this wall are 3 C17 and C18 headstones. The rendered C13 porch
with coped gable is set on a deep chamfered plinth. Unmoulded
arched entrance with hood mould and human head label stops.
Inner C12 chamfered arched doorway with C17 panelled door.
Interior. Triple chamfered brick tower arch with wood and
stained glass screen. Either side are single small chamfered
arched brick doorways with ashlar hinge and lock blocks. Double
chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on moulded
capitals in turn on segments of circular responds supported on
corbels. Chamfered chancel/vestry arch. Octagonal ashlar C12
font, each panel decorated with a 3 bay blind intersecting arcade
supported on dwarf shafts and with a band of diaper under. The
remaining furniture C19 with an ashlar pulpit. In the south
chancel is a C17 monument comprising an oval inscription plaque
with floral surround supported on 2 angels' heads in turn
supported on a skull. The plaque is surmounted by a shield. In
the north chancel is a tablet to Frank Sotheron, 1839. The east
window is by Ward Hughes, London, 1896.


Listing NGR: SK6791957607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.