History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade I Listed Building in Rolleston, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0646 / 53°3'52"N

Longitude: -0.8944 / 0°53'39"W

OS Eastings: 474185

OS Northings: 352504

OS Grid: SK741525

Mapcode National: GBR BK6.W4D

Mapcode Global: WHFHN.77CF

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242029

Location: Rolleston, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Rolleston

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Rolleston

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Fiskerton

Listing Text

ROLLESTON STATION ROAD
SK 75 SW
(south side)
2/77
Church of
11.8.61 Holy Trinity
G.V.
I
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, chancel restored 1878, tower
restored 1889, further late C19 restoratioins. Dressed coursed
rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped gables to east nave and
chancel and south aisle with single ridge cross finials to the
east nave and chancel. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch and
chancel. Angle buttressed C12 and C14 tower set on a moulded
plinth and of 4 stages with bands. Embattled with 8 crocketed
pinnacles. The centre pinnacle on each side being corbelled out.
The corbel rising from the centre point between the 2 light bell
chamber openings. There are 8 gargoyles. The west wall has a
single ogee arched light originally C12, recut C14. Above is an
arched 2 light window with ogee arched and cusped lights and
single quatrefoil. The north and south sides have single,
similar recut lights. There are 4 C14 bell chamber openings each
has 2 pointed arched openings surmounted by a further 2similar
openings. The ogee arched hood mould is broken by the pinnacle
corbel. The south side has a single rectangular stair light and
the south and north sides have single small arched and cusped
lights and 4 tie plates. The west side has 2 tie plates and on
each side is a single large tie plate. The west wall of the
dressed coursed rubble north aisle has a single quatrefoil set
into a circle. The buttressed north wall has a single restored
lancet, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway with impost
bands and hood mould. Further left are 2 pairs of restored
lancets. The north east and east walls are on chamfered plinths.
In the C14 ashlar clerestory are 4 windows each with 2 arched
lights under a flat arch. The chancel is set on a plinth. The
north chancel has a single lancet, to the left is a Caernarvon
arched doorway and further left a C14 window with 2 ogee arched
and cusped lights, each light with 2 decorative orbs, under a
flat arch with hood mould and human head label stops. The hood
mould is decorated with fleuron and there is a single central
carved grotesque head over, with a single similar worn head under
the window. The east end has a single arched C19 4 light window
with cusped tracery and hood mould. The south chancel has 2 C14
windows each with 2 ogee arched lights, cusped tracery under a
flat arch and hood mould. The east wall of the buttressed
dressed coursed rubble south aisle has a single lancet with hood
mould. The south wall with single C14 gargoyle, has 3 windows
each with 2 arched and cusped lights, flat arch, hood mould and
head label stops, mainly human. The gabled and coped diagonally
buttressed porch with single ridge cross finial has a C19 moulded
arched entrance. The inner order being supported on engaged
colonnettes with moulded capitals and the arch decorated with
fleuron. There is a hood mould and label stops over. In the
apex, set into a rectangular panel, is a decorative shield with
hood mould and label stops. The side walls each have single C19
arched and cusped lights. To the left of that on the east side
is a single angel's head carved in shallow relief. Inner round
and chamfered arched C12 doorway with impost bands and worn hood
mould decorated with billet. Plank door with iron hinges. In
the west wall of the aisle is a single quatrefoil set into a
circle. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 4
bay late C13 nave arcades with double chamfered arches. The
north arcade has a single central octagonal column, alternating 4
sides of concave moulding with 4 shafts with large moulded
capitals. The columns either side each consist of 4 shafts with
moulded capitals and the responds of single shafts and moulded
capitals. South arcade, rebuilt 1895-6, with wide octagonal west
column with nailhead decorated capital. The 2 eastern columns
each of 4 shafts with fillets around an octagonal column, the
western most with crocket leaf capital and eastern most with
stiff leaf capital and further decorated with carved heads. The
large octagonal west respond with moulded capital. The east
octagonal respond has a projecting corbel decorated with nailhead
supporting a foliate decorated capital. The base has 2 spurs.
The arch over the west octagonal column hasbroach stops and there
is a hood mould with human head label stops over the 2 eastern
most arches. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner order being
supported on octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Double
chamfered chancel arch the inner order supported on octagonal
responds with overhanging moulded capitals and single shaft
rings. The south chancel has an arched piscina with remnants of
a pedestal piscina with scalloping. The south aisle south wall
has an arched piscina. The south aisle south windows have shaped
arches. The north wall of the nave and the south wall of the
north aisle have some C12 herringbone masonry. Octagonal font on
splayed octagonal pedestal with C17 cover. The pulpit, oak
chest and altar rails with turned balusters are C17. C14
traceried screen. Fragments of Cll cross shaft. Remaining
furniture C19 and C20. Monuments include in the north chancel to
Nicholas Lodge, 1612, a plaque with marble surround decorated
with fleuron with a skull on the apron and a shield on the crown.
There is a brass plaque to Rev. John Edwards, 1804. In the south
chancel is a damaged C17 ashlar monument to Luke Williamson, the
sides decorated with scrolls and the crown with an angel's head
and wings. That to Selina Hempsall, 1750, is flanked by single
pilasters, has a decorative apron and is topped with a broken
pediment. In thenorth aisle are fragments of C13 ashlar
memorials decorated with stylised crosses with a monument to John
Twentyman, 1774, in the north wall, a fragment of decoratively
carved ashlar and a fragment of a C13 floor slab decorated with a
cross. In the south aisle, west wall, is a monument to John
Twentyman, 1705, with segmental arched head. To the right is a
small carved fragment. There are the remains of some C13 floor
slabs with several C18 floor slabs.


Listing NGR: SK7418552504

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.