This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1393 / 53°8'21"N
Longitude: -0.9387 / 0°56'19"W
OS Eastings: 471089
OS Northings: 360765
OS Grid: SK710607
Mapcode National: GBR BJC.3HB
Mapcode Global: WHFH7.KC65
Entry Name: Church of St Radegund
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241905
Location: Maplebeck, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Maplebeck
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Maplebeck
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
MAPLEBECK CHURCH LANE
SK 76 SW
8/55 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17, restored 1898 by Hodgson
Fowler. Coursed squared rubble, dressed stone and ashlar, with
plain tile roof. Partial chamfered plinth and sill band,
chamfered eaves, coped gables with kneelers and crosses, single
side wall ashlar stack. West tower, nave and north aisle under
continuous roof, chancel, south porch. Single stage west tower,
C14, has 2 diagonal buttresses to west, 4 setoffs, chamfered top
band and octagonal broach spire with 4 single lucarnes and
weathercock. To west, chamfered doorway with C19 door, and
above, ogee headed single lancet. Above again,4 cusped ogee
headed double lancets with quatrefoils. Nave, 3 bays, has to
north 2 buttresses, 3 setoffs plus plinth. To east, C13 double
lancet with trefoil heads, and to west, C19 chamfered pointed
doorway. East end has a double lancet, early C14, with cusped
ogee heads and incised lintel. South side has to west, corner
buttress and to east, 2 buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinths. To
east, chamfered square headed reveal containing C19 cusped triple
lancet in C14 style. To west, small chamfered rectangular light.
To west again, 2 plain square headed lights in chamfered square
headed reveal. Chancel, mainly 1898, 2 bays, has to north
central C19 buttress, 5 setoffs. To east, a chamfered lancet
and to west, blocked doorway with pointed head. East end has a
larger lancet with hood mould and moulded stops. South side has
central buttress, C13, 3 setoffs. To west, C19 double lancet,
C13 style, with chamfered reveal. South porch, rebuilt 1898
with C15 roof, has stepped plinth and square blind recess on east
side. South gable has cambered tie beam with central mask boss.
Interior has stone benches and principal rafter roof with moulded
cambered tie beam with central boss, tenoned purlins and collars
and notched rafters. Inner south doorway has chamfered square
headed reveal and C19 door. Inner reveal has stoup recess.
Nave north arcade, early C14, has 2 octagonal piers with moulded
octagonal bases and different octagonal capitals, and half round
responds with round bases and octagonal capitals. Double
chamfered and rebated arches. East end has to left, trefoil
headed stoup, C13, restored C19. South side has to east,
restored chamfered pointed piscina. Roof has moulded tie beams
and principal timbers with foliate bosses and flat panelled C18
ceiling. North aisle has panelled C19 lean-to roof and to east
part of C14 altar set in wall, with chamfered sill, and 4
chamfered balusters with chamfered bases and half-octagonal
capitals with rings. Tower arch, early C14, double chamfered
and rebated, has large 3 sided responds with chamfered bases and
moulded capitals. Tower chamber contains cleft timber ladder.
Chancel has panelled oak screen, C17, panelled and with turned
spindles and transom with staff moulding. North side has tomb
recess with chamfered segmental head. East end has timber
reredos, C19, with traceried panels. East window has stained
glass by Kempe, 1898. C19 panelled wagon vaulted roof.
Fittings include font, C14, restored C19. Stepped base, squat
round stem, squat octagonal bowl with restored top band.
Panelled oak pulpit, early C17,half-octagonal, with carving and
bracketed top rail. Square panelled oak sound board. 15 C17
oak benches panelled and with staff mouldings. 3 C19 benches, 2
C19 panelled and carved oak stalls and desks. Communion rail,
C18, restored, with bulbous turned spindles and moulded top rail.
Plain oak parish chest, C18. Table, late C17, with turned legs
and low stretchers. C19 lectern, brass and wrought iron,
bracketed round stem and bookstand. Monuments include re-set
incised cross slab and brass, 1898, referring to restoration.
Listing NGR: SK7108860765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings