History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friary United Reformed Church and Adjoining Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.934 / 52°56'2"N

Longitude: -1.1334 / 1°8'0"W

OS Eastings: 458343

OS Northings: 337755

OS Grid: SK583377

Mapcode National: GBR LSX.RC

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.KJH1

Entry Name: Friary United Reformed Church and Adjoining Sunday School

Listing Date: 13 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241798

Location: Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG2

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Town: Rushcliffe

Electoral Ward/Division: Trent Bridge

Built-Up Area: West Bridgford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: West Bridgford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
West Bridgford

Listing Text

SK 53 NE WEST BRIDGFORD MUSTERS ROAD
(west side)

1/7 Friary United
Reformed Church
and adjoining
Sunday School

II

Presbyterian Church and Sunday School. Now United Reformed
Church. 1898. By Brewill and Baily. C15 style. Tooled and
plain ashlar and brick. Hipped, gabled and lean-to plain tile
roofs. Chamfered plinth, moulded parapet, shouldered coped
gables, one with cross. Ornate iron gutter brackets. Single
roof stack. Windows are mullioned casements with coved reveals
and Decorated lancets with moulded reveals, coved mullions and
hood moulds. Tower, nave and chancel, north and south aisles,
vestry, Sunday school. North west tower, single stage, has
string course and 4 pairs of battered corner buttresses plus a
single central buttress each side. Corner buttresses extend
upward to form pinnacles. Central buttresses have spouts at
their heads. Moulded and shaped crenellated parapet. To north,
2 casements. To east, 2 double doors with moulded segmental
heads. Above them, 2 double casements. Above again, on each
side, a double lancet louvred opening with moulded segmental
headed reveal. Nave clerestory has on each side 5 Decorated
triple lancets with ogee heads. Nave east end has a pair of
battered buttresses with stepped heads and 3 inscribed foundation
stones, the central one dated 1900. Above, 3 mullioned
casements. Above again, 5 light Decorated lancet with buttresses
flanking mullions. Chancel west end has 5 light Decorated lancet
with flowing tracery and hood mould. Above it, a small casement.
North and south aisles have each 5 triple mullioned casements.
Vestry, to north west, 3 bays, has shaped parapet and central
coped gable. North side has a pair of double casements flanked
by single doorways with moulded segmental heads and battered
flanking buttresses. Beyond, to right, a casement. West side
has 2 casements. Sunday School, adjoining west end, brick with
ashlar dressings, has to north 3 casements. To west, off-centre
gable with large metal casement, flanked to left by 2 and to
right by 6 smaller metal casements. East side has central porch
with coped parapet, containing doorway with moulded segmental
head. Flanked by single casements. South gable has a casement
and to right, parapeted porch in return angle with single
segmental headed doorway. South east porch has to south 2 pairs
of pointed double doors in pointed opening with hood mould. Pair
of battered flanking buttresses. To east, a casement. Adjoining
church hall is of no special interest. Nave north and south
arcades, 5 bays, have octagonal piers and moulded segmental
arches. Panelled dado. Glazed draught screen at west end.
Hammer beam roof with large curved braces. North and south
aisles have lean-to roofs and a door with segmental head at their
west ends. Chancel has chamfered and pointed arch. Left side
has pointed opening containing organ in C15 style traceried case.
East end has panelled canopied screen. Central door with
segmental head, flanked by single niches with segmental heads,
containing War Memorial brasses, c.1920. Above door, similar
brass, 1945. East window has stained glass memorial design
c.1920. Monuments include large re-sited C14 style wall tablet,
1852. C20 stone tablet. 2 C20 brasses. Fittings include
octagonal oak pulpit with buttresses, on ashlar base. Matching
sounding board 1953. Panelled oak font on stand. Panelled
softwood benches and stalls.


Listing NGR: SK5834337755

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.