This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.932 / 52°55'55"N
Longitude: -1.1293 / 1°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 458625
OS Northings: 337535
OS Grid: SK586375
Mapcode National: GBR LTY.P2
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.MKGL
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241793
Location: Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG2
Electoral Ward/Division: Trent Bridge
Built-Up Area: West Bridgford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: West Bridgford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 53 NE WEST BRIDGFORD CHURCH DRIVE
1/2 Church of St. Giles
Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored 1872 by T. C.
Hine. Nave, north aisle, north porch, vestry in mid C15 style by
Naylor and Sale 1896 and 1911. Coursed rubble, dressed stone and
ashlar. Lead and plain tile gabled and lean-to roofs. Partial
chamfered and moulded plinths, moulded string courses, sill
bands, coped and crenellated parapets with pinnacles, coped
gables with crosses. Moulded eaves bands with gargoyles. West
tower, nave, chancel, north porch, north aisle, vestry, north
transept, inner and outer south aisles, south porch. West tower,
C15, single stage, has moulded eaves with 2 gargoyles to north
and south. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses. South side has,
above, inscribed stone. West side has restored triple lancet
with panel tracery. North west corner has doorway. Above, each
side has a double lancet in round headed reveal. Nave, 6 bays,
extended 1898, has on each side 6 double lancets with Tudor
arched heads, the easternmost pair C19. West end has C19
quadruple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould, flanked
by single similar lancets. Chancel, 1896, under continuous roof,
3 bays, has to east a pair of diagonal buttresses. Tablet
inscribed 'This foundation stone was laid by The Lady Byron
(Thrumpton Hall) October 18th. AD 1896. "ipc lapis aduitori".'
Above, 7 light Decorated style lancet with flowing tracery and
hood mould. North porch has 2 diagonal buttresses, moulded
doorway and canopied niche. West side has a double lancet.
Buttressed north aisle, 5 bays, has canted east end. Windows are
C15 style lancets with Decorated tracery. North side has 2
double lancets to east and to west, 2 quadruple lancets. Off-
centre crested panel with Royal Arms inscribed 'To the Glory of
God this stone was laid by Mrs. Heymann. Richard Hargreaves M.A.
Rector. W. J. Furse, J.P., W. H. Tonkin, Churchwardens. June
22nd 1911.' East end has 3 double lancets. Vestry, 2 bays, has
on west side 3 C16 style lancets. To their right, doorway.
North end has 2 single lancets. North transept has to north a
gabled buttress and a quadruple and a triple lancet with restored
flowing tracery and hood moulds. East side has a double lancet.
Former nave and chancel under continuous roof, now forming inner
south aisle, 7 bays. East end has 2 restored triple lancets, mid
C14 with flowing tracery and hood moulds. Above, restored
spherical triangle window with flowing tracery. South side has
to right, additional buttress and chamfered priest's door, mid
C13, with hood mould, flanked by a double and a triple C16 lancet
with hood moulds and mask stops. Above, 6 cusped double lancets
c.1500 with triangular heads. Former south aisle, forming outer
south aisle, 4 bays, has a small buttress each end. East end has
restored C14 triple lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould.
South side has central porch flanked by single C19 triple
lancets. West end has a C13 lancet. South porch, C13, rebuilt
late C19, has to south moulded doorway with hood mould. Above,
blank opening. East side has re-set squint. West side has a
small light. Interior has stone benches and panelled ceiling.
Inner south doorway, C13. Tower arch, C15, chamfered and
rebated, has C20 ringing gallery. Nave north and south arcades,
3 bays, have octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals.
Chamfered and moulded arches. Low pitched roof with mask corbels
and arch braces. West window has stained glass, 1938. Chancel
arch has wall shafts and hood mould with angel stops. Coped
screen wall with iron railing and central gates containing text.
North side has 2 openings with C20 traceried oak screens, that to
right containing text. East end has panelled timber reredos,
1896 and 1963. East window has stained glass c.1920. South side
has to east, cusped ogee headed piscina. Above, window with
stained glass, 1907. Low pitched roof with arch braces. North
aisle has to west early C20 glazed screen. North side has
central window with stained glass by Whitefriars Studio, 1971.
To east, 2 doors with segmental heads. Low pitched roof with
arch braces. Chapel to east of north aisle has central arch
flanked by single smaller arches with wrought iron grilles.
North side has to east, restored C14 cusped tomb recess with
finial containing re-sited late C13 effigy, said to be Sir Robert
de Luttrell. Above, window with stained glass, 1913. East end
has reredos and 3 stained glass windows, 1945, 1946, 1953,
probably by Powell of Whitefriars. Low pitched roof with arch
braces. Inner south aisle arcade, 4 bays, C14, has 3 octagonal
piers with moulded bases and capitals, double chamfered and
rebated arches, and 2 mask imposts. East end has cusped ogee
panelled screen, c.1380, restored 1871 and 1931. Restored arch,
C14 with 2 beast mask corbels. North side has opening to east,
C19 with oak screen, 1922. East end has 3 windows with C19
stained glass. South side has to east, square piscina and
aumbry, mid C13. To its right, ogee headed double sedilia with
traceried spandrels; mid C14. Easternmost window has stained
glass, 1919. Westernmost window has stained glass, 1901, by
Heaton Butler and Bayne. Clerestorey has 6 late C19 stained
glass windows. Restored late C14 roof with mask corbels and
carved bosses. South aisle has east window with stained glass
similar to that in south side east window by Taylor and Clifton.
South side has to east C14 aumbry and piscina. Westernmost and
west end windows have stained glass, late C19. Restored C15
lean-to roof. Octagonal font, C15. Panelled octagonal pulpit by
Sir Charles Nicholson, 1948. Brass eagle lectern, 1898. C19
cross frame benches. Traceried panelled stalls and desks,
c.1920. 2 carved panel back armchairs, early C18. Monuments
include 8 C20 brasses, and brass to Waters family, 1867-1895.
Panelled alabaster and slate war memorial 1918.
Listing NGR: SK5862537535
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings