This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3748 / 53°22'29"N
Longitude: -0.8094 / 0°48'33"W
OS Eastings: 479308
OS Northings: 387102
OS Grid: SK793871
Mapcode National: GBR QYSD.KY
Mapcode Global: WHFG4.JFTM
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 1 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241467
Location: Bole, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Bole
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bole with Saundby
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 78 NE BOLE CHURCH STREET
2/1 Church of
Parish church. C13,C14, C15, C16. Restored 1866 by Ewan
Christian. Dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings,
coursed rubble, slate roofs. West tower and tower chamber, nave,
chancel, south porch. Deep chamfered and moulded plinths,
moulded eaves band, crenellated parapets, coped east gables with
crosses. West tower, C14. 2 stages. 2 string courses and eaves
band with 8 gargoyles. 8 crocketed pinnacles. Pair of diagonal
buttresses, 2 setoffs. First stage has to south, 3 stair lights.
To west, pointed doorway with moulded and chamfered reveal and
hood mould. Above, restored C14 style triple lancet with moulded
mullions, coved and chamfered reveal, hood mould and mask stops.
Second stage has 4 C14 double lancet bell openings with panel
tracery, moulded reveals and hood moulds. Nave, 4 bays, has
diagonal buttresses at west end and 4 intermediate buttresses, 2
setoffs. Single gargoyle each side. North side has 4 crocketed
pinnacles and to east, C16 round headed triple lancet with
splayed mullions in coved and chamfered square headed reveal. To
west, 4 centred arched moulded doorway. South side has one
pinnacle and remains of 2 more. To west, porch, and to east, 3
triple lancets matching that on north side. Chancel, 2 bays, has
blank north side and to east, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2
setoffs. Rebuilt east end has C19 triple lancet with
intersecting tracery and splayed mullions, in chamfered and
rebated reveal with hood mould. South side has to west restored
C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, splayed mullions and
chamfered reveal with hood mould and mask stops. To east, Cl5
triple lancet with panel tracery, splayed mullions, and similar
reveal and hood mould. South porch, C19 in C13 style, has 2
diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, moulded and chamfered doorway
with hood mould and mask stops, and coped gable with cross. Arch
braced roof with ashlar pieces. South doorway, late C13, has
chamfered and roll moulded surround flanked by chamfered and
moulded bases like buttresses. Simple incised pattern on inner
reveal. Towerarch, C13, has chamfered and roll moulded head
dying into matching responds with broach stops at foot. Tower
chamber has 4 centred arched tower door and blocked square headed
west doorway. Nave has at east end a single rectangular niche on
each side. C19 roof with curved braces to collars and short
strutted kinqposts. Moulded brackets, and ashlar pieces.
Chancel opening head has stud and plaster partition. Carved and
painted rood with foliate bosses on bressummer. North side has
re-set C13 corbel forming credence. South side has to east small
pointer arched piscina. C19 scissor braced roof with moulded
brackets. Fittings include Romanesque tub font with interlaced
arcading with round piers, scallop capitals and moulded heads, on
later octagonal base and stem. C19 octagonal timber pulpit with
inset late C16 Flemish relief panels with inscription and
Renaissance borders, on ashlar base. Desk-type lectern, 1893.
Carved timber eagle lectern on turned stem, 1918. Cove and roll
moulded oak benches, C18 and C19, one with a fragment of re-used
C17 carving. Unusual painted Royal Arms, 1707-1714, altered for
George I. Monuments include brass 1668, to Nicholaus Browne.
War memorial brass by Herbert Wauthier, 1918. Roll of Honour,
1914-18. 3 C20 brasses.
Listing NGR: SK7930887102
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.