History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Harworth Bircotes, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4187 / 53°25'7"N

Longitude: -1.078 / 1°4'40"W

OS Eastings: 461370

OS Northings: 391722

OS Grid: SK613917

Mapcode National: GBR NXXX.D6

Mapcode Global: WHFFT.DBWG

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241417

Location: Harworth Bircotes, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN11

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Harworth Bircotes

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Harworth

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Bawtry

Listing Text

SK 69 SW HARWORTH CHURCH LANE

Church of All
1/62 Saints

30.11.66 II

Parish church. C12, C14. The chancel was rebuilt in 1672 and
the whole church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in
1869 by C. J. Neale, when the transepts, vestry and organ chamber
were added. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs with
single stack at the north east end of the nave. Tower, nave,
south porch, north and south transepts, north vestry and organ
chamber, chancel. Diagonally buttressed C12 tower of 3 stages,
set on a plinth with C14 embattled parapet and 8 crocketted
pinnacles, On both the north and the south sides are 2
gargoyles. There is a string course extending over the west
window and a further string course under the bell chamber
openings. The C19 arched 3-light west window with tracery,
cusping and hoodmould has to the right a memorial to the Short
family, c,1805 with a small stair light over. The south wall has
3 stair lights. There are 4 arched bell chamber openings, each
with 2 lights tracery and cusping. The north west wall of the
nave has a stylised cross carved in relief. The north nave wall
is set on a plinth and has an embattled parapet. There are 3
arched 2-light windows each with panel tracery, cusping,
hoodmould and head label stops. The diagonally buttressed north
transept is set on a plinth and has an embattled parapet. The
north wall has an arched 5-light window with panel tracery,
cusping, hoodmould and head label stops. The organ chamber and
vestry with single angle buttress is set on a plinth and has an
embattled parapet. In the east wall are 2 windows both with
tracery and cusping, under a flat head with hoodmould and head
label stops. The east end of the nave is embattled. The chancel
is set on a plinth, has ashlar quoins at the east end and a
single ridge cross. There is a raised decorative eaves band
dated 1672 in the apex, with single gargoyles to the north east
and south east. The east end has 3 arched windows, the central
one being slightly larger. Each window is flanked by a single
slim engaged column with decorated capital supporting an impost
and a moulded arch. A hoodmould extends over all 3, the centre
window having 2 head label stops. The restored south doorway
has 4 engaged columns with decorated capitals which support
imposts and a moulded arch, there is an inner order of roll
moulding. The diagonal buttressed south transept is set on a
plinth and has an embattled parapet. The east wall has a 2-
light arched window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and head
label stops. The south wall has a 5-light arched window with
panel tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The
embattled south nave is set on a plinth and has a 3-light arched
window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and head label stops.
Under is a C14 tomb recess with worn cusped arch and hood mould.
The south porch is set on a plinth and has a damaged ridge cross.
The moulded arched doorway with hood mould and head label stops
has an arched and cusped niche over with hood mould. The south
nave wall has a further 2-light arched window with tracery,
cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The inner, heavily
restored, C12 doorway has 2 pairs of colonnettes, the inner pair
engaged, supporting imposts and a moulded arch. Interior:
double chamfered tower arch. The transept/nave double chamfered
arches are supported on engaged columns. The north
transept/north vestry arch is double chamfered. The heavily
restored C12 chancel arch has an inner order of square piers and
imposts supporting a square edged arch, single engaged fluted
columns with scalloped capitals and imposts support on arch of
alternate roll moulding and square section. There is an outer
order of single engaged columns with cushion capitals supporting
a moulded arch. In the left square pier is a small rectangular
opening. The south chancel doorway has an inner arch of chevron
supported on imposts and an outer moulded arch, there is a
similar arch over the north vestry doorway, however there is a
further inner moulded arch. The south wall has a piscina and a
double sedilia. The east window corresponds to the exterior,
however the hood mould is decorated with trefoil. The C17 altar
table has a later top. The altar rails are also C17, the font
C18 and the pulpit, lectern and reading desk late C19. The roof
is supported on corbels. On the south chancel wall is a monument
topped with a pediment with central roundel to Stephen Ferrand
1788 and a further monument topped with a pediment to Henry Brown
Woodcock and his wife Sarah 1833. The north chancel wall has a
monument with shield on the apron to Joshua and Ann Waddington
1780 by J. Wallis, Newark.


Listing NGR: SK6137091722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.