History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3029 / 53°18'10"N

Longitude: -1.1327 / 1°7'57"W

OS Eastings: 457892

OS Northings: 378786

OS Grid: SK578787

Mapcode National: GBR NZJ7.KQ

Mapcode Global: WHDF7.K7TS

Entry Name: Church of St Anne and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045754

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241305

Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Town: Bassetlaw

District Council Ward: Worksop South

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Listing Text

SK 57 NE WORKSOP NEWCASTLE AVENUE
(South side)

3/96 Church of
St. Anne and
13.2.67 boundary wall

G.V. II

Parish church. 1911, by Paley and Austin for Sir John Robinson;
C15 Perpendicular revival style. Textured ashlar with ashlar
dressings, Westmorland slate, lead, slab and boarded roofs.
North tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, north aisle,
north porch, north transept, morning chapel, vestry, south
transept with lean-to, south aisle. Corner-buttressed battered
tower, 4 stages has plinth, string courses, decorative bands and
inscribed band,crenellated parapet with traceried panels. West
side has, above, double lancet; north side has moulded pointed
arched doorway with traceried spandrels; above, ogee headed
triple lancet with traceried panelled reveal; above again,
double lancet and clock. East side has,to right, canted stair
turret with parapet, and above, double lancet. South side has,
above, single light. Fourth stage has 2 double lancet ogee headed
bell openings with intermediate pilaster and angel capital on 3
sides, and single similar opening to east. Nave west end has 2
gabled buttresses, crenellated lintel band, and shouldered coped
gable with cross. To left, double lancet with hood mould.
Central projecting canted bay forming baptistry has string course
and moulded coped parapet and squat double lancet with hood
mould. Above, cusped quadruple lancet with stepped cusped
transom, flanked by single traceried panels in moulded reveal
with hood mould. Above again, single small light. Clerestorey
has on each side 4 triple lancets with hood moulds. Buttressed
north aisle, 4 bays, has to east, traceried round window and to
west, 3 segmental headed windows with hood moulds. North porch,
one bay, has plinth, parapet and pointed arched door to north and
single lancet to west. North transept has 2 gabled buttresses,
that to left with foundation stone, and shouldered coped gable.
To north, quadruple ogee headed lancet with stepped cusped
transom and to east, single square headed window. Single bay
morning chapel has one corner buttress and shouldered coped gable
with cross. To north, single lancet, and to east, ogee headed
triple lancet. Buttressed 2 bay chancel has string course,
inscribed and billetted lintel bands, and shouldered coped gable
with cross. Each side has 2 superimposed double lancets with
elliptical and ogee heads and transoms. East end has quintuple
ogee headed lancets with hood mould, and above, single quatrefoil
right. Vestry, one storey, one bay, has moulded coped parapet
and hipped roof. East side has three 2 and 4 light mullioned
windows, and to right, projecting porch with chamfered doorway
and slab roof. South side has single 4 light mullioned window.
South transept has single buttress and shouldered coped gable
with chimney stack. To south, lean-to porch, containing 2 light
mullioned window and doorway. Above, double lancet with lights
blocked below transom. Single bay lean-to to left has segmental
headed double lancet. South aisle, 4 bays, has 3 segmental
headed quadruple lancets, and to west, pointed arched doorway
with hood mould. West end has one double lancet and single
crorner buttress. Nave has 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers
and barrel vaulted king post roof. Chancel has chamfered and
rebated arch and to north, 2 bay arcade containing glazed timber
screen. North corner has elaborate C14 style alabaster canopied
tomb of Sir John Robinson, containing recumbent marble figure and
signed 'Albert Toft Sc 1930'. East end has elaborate timber
screen and alabaster reredos, 1931. South corner has linked
aumbry, piscina and sedilia. Windows have C20 stained glass
attributed to Wailes. Barrel vaulted king post roof. Nave and
aisles have moulded and panelled deal pews. Panelled square
stone pulpit with canted front with figure carving and Arms.
Carved timber lectern. Tapered octagonal font with shield panels
and timber cover. Outside, irregularly coursed ashlar boundary
wall with ashlar coping, 2 terminal piers and 4 gatepiers with
canted corners and concave-domed tops. Pair of matching wrought
iron gates. Approx. 125M long.


Listing NGR: SK5789278786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.