This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2992 / 53°17'57"N
Longitude: -1.1231 / 1°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 458542
OS Northings: 378387
OS Grid: SK585783
Mapcode National: GBR NZL9.N1
Mapcode Global: WHDF7.QBDL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241313
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
District Council Ward: Worksop South
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop Priory with Carburton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 57 NE WORKSOP PARK STREET
3/104 Church of St,Mary
Roman Catholic church. 1838, in Gothic Revival style, by M. E.
Hadfield for Duke of Norfolk. Nave and apsidal chancel under
continuous roof. Ashlar with graduated slate roof; chamfered
plinth, sill band, moulded eaves and parapet, 2 coped gables,
that to west with bell turret, that to east with cross.
Buttressed nave, 5 bays, has 5 cusped head double lancets with
hood moulds, on each side. West end has central four centred
arched headed doorway in chamfered and rebated reveal with
shields in spandrels. Above, 2 corner gargoyles. Above again,
Perpendicular style 8 light mullioned and transomed window with
cusped heads and hood mould. Above again, Decorated style
canopied niche on angel corbel, containing Virgin and child.
Gable has shouldered bell turret with chamfered four centred
arched bell opening and bronze cross. Buttressed apsidal chancel
has triple lancet east window with hood mould, and single
flanking double lancets. Internal porch has 3 Tudor arched
doors. Aisleless nave has at rear, organ gallery on curved stone
brackets with mask corbels. Roof has corbels with traceried
panels carrying hammer beams with arched braces to tiebeams.
Traceried spandrels and pendants, chamfered principal timbers.
Four centred chancel arch has cove and roll moulding and shaft
responds. Chancel roof has arched braces on angel corbels,
forming a ribbed vault with decorative bosses. C19 and C20
stained glass. Fittings include C20 ashlar font, lectern and
altar and C19 altar with traceried panels and panelled canopied
reredos. Plain pews.
Listing NGR: SK5854278387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings