This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3017 / 53°18'5"N
Longitude: -1.124 / 1°7'26"W
OS Eastings: 458478
OS Northings: 378658
OS Grid: SK584786
Mapcode National: GBR NZL8.G5
Mapcode Global: WHDF7.P8ZQ
Entry Name: Worksop Town Hall
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Last Amended: 1 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241322
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
District Council Ward: Worksop South
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop Priory with Carburton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/08/2014
SK 5878 NW
POTTER STREET (South side),
Worksop Town Hall
Town Hall, formerly Corn Exchange. 1851, by Charles Gilbert. Brick and ashlar with hipped slate roof. Ashlar dressings, rusticated quoins, moulded lintel and first floor bands, string course, modillioned eaves. 2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays, L-plan. Symmetrical facade with recessed pedimented central bay and vermiculated plinth with rusticated central section carrying iron railing. Central bay has 3 large round headed windows with heavily rusticated architraves and carved keystones, flanked in side bays by single casements in round headed recesses with Ionic colonettes. Recesses have rusticated architraves and keystones decorated with a cow's head and a cornucopia. Above, central Royal Arms and central 2 light casement with moulded architrave and pediment, flanked by single casements with hoods. Beyond, single aediculed casements with Corinthian colonettes and segmental pediments. Above again, central clock in ornate surround, flanked by strapwork panels and beyond, small slit windows in scrollwork surrounds. Above again, cross-gabled leaded bell turret with 4 timber posts. West side has 2 flanking pilasters, and central casement; above, 3 blank panels and Venetian window; above again, 2 glazing bar sashes. Rear wing, coursed squared rubble and brick, 2 storeys, 5 bays, has 5 round headed casements and above, 5 round headed sashes.
To the right of the façade a Carrara marble war memorial tablet to the eight men of the town who fell in the South African War (1899-1902), unveiled 1 August 1903 by Field Marshall Lord Grenfell and designed and made by George Colton (of Worksop). In the pediment a field gun is carved in relief. Above the memorial is a gabled wooden canopy. The leaded inscription reads: IN SACRED MEMORY OF / (8 names listed) / NATIVES OF THIS TOWN / WHO FELL IN THE CAMPAIGN / SOUTH AFRICA 1899 TO 1902 / ' HOW ARE THE MIGHTY FALLEN IN THE MIDST OF THE BATTLE ' / II SAMUEL I.25.
Listing NGR: SK5847878658
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings