This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1398 / 51°8'23"N
Longitude: 0.5107 / 0°30'38"E
OS Eastings: 575730
OS Northings: 140835
OS Grid: TQ757408
Mapcode National: GBR PSR.HWW
Mapcode Global: VHJMZ.SMT2
Entry Name: Hush Heath Manor
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Last Amended: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174613
Location: Staplehurst, Maidstone, Kent, TN17
Civil Parish: Staplehurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
STAPLEHURST HUSHEATH HILL
TQ 74 SE (East side)
3/147 Hush Heath
25.7.52 listed as
House. Early C17. Restored, probably in early C20. Timber framed, with
rendered infilling. Right return red brick in Flemish bond to ground
floor, tile-hung above. Plain tile roof. L-plan. Main range with
principal room of one or two timber-framed bays to left of stack bay,
with further room of one long timber-framed bay incorporating cross-
passage, to left end. Bay to right of stack framed as cross-wing,
returning to rear with one further stack bay and one timber-framed bay
behind it. Apparently integral timber-framed lean-to to long left side
of wing. 2 storeys attic and cellar on brick plinth. Close-studded.
Continuous jetty, slightly lower across stack and to right end bay,
solid-spandrel brackets to left and scrolled and carved brackets to right
wing. Roof hipped to left, hip jettied on protruding wall-plate ends
with solid-spandrel brackets. Eaves dormer to left of stack, jettied on
ovolo-moulded bressumer on shaped brackets, and with moulded bargeboards
and pendant. Broad front gable of right wing jettied on billet-moulded
bressumer on carved & scrolled brackets, and with billet-moulded
bargeboards and moulded pendant. Half-hipped roof to rear of wing,
slightly jettied on protruding wall-plate ends, with half-hip jettied
still further above. Multiple red and grey brick ridge stack to junction
of main range and wing, and another towards centre of right return
elevation. One 3-light mullioned window to left dormer. One 6-light
mullioned and transomed window to wing gable. Irregular fenestration of
4 leaded windows; one 2-light casement to left end bay; one rectangular
10-light mullioned and transomed oriel window on shaped brackets, with
rendered ogee base and 2-light ovolo-moulded mullioned frieze windows,
under the jettied eaves dormer and one 2-light ovolo-moulded mullioned
window to stack bay. 10-light ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed
oriel window on scrolled and carved brackets, with moulded head and
cill, and with 2-light ovolo-moulded frieze windows, to right wing.
Frieze windows of both oriel windows flanked by blocked or blind
"windows" with lower, pegged, cills. Boarded doorway with 4-centred-
arched head and hollow spandrels, to right end of left end bay. Boarded
door under stack to right side of wing. Interior: exposed framing.
Panelled room to left end of ground floor and to front of wing.
Linenfold panelling to left and right ends of principal ground-floor
room. Brick fireplaces with chamfered bressumers. Side purlin roof with
vertical queen-struts to collars.
Listing NGR: TQ7573040835
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings