History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock House (Headmasters House of Bradford Grammar School)

A Grade II Listed Building in Manningham, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8139 / 53°48'50"N

Longitude: -1.7697 / 1°46'10"W

OS Eastings: 415263

OS Northings: 435318

OS Grid: SE152353

Mapcode National: GBR JFB.KC

Mapcode Global: WHC98.SDHJ

Entry Name: Clock House (Headmasters House of Bradford Grammar School)

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1045816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336684

Location: Bradford, BD9

County: Bradford

Metropolitan District Ward: Manningham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Manningham St Paul and St Jude

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Shipley

Listing Text

1.
5111 KEIGHLEY ROAD
Carr Syke/Manningham BD9

Clock House
(Headmaster's house of
SE 1535 22/693 Bradford Grammar School)

II


2.
Clock House was the principal residence of an estate dating back to the early C17
and probably the C16. It was acquired by Bradford Grammar School in 1936. In
appearance the 2-storey sandstone "brick" house is late C18 but the structure
incorporates older features from the C17. The south front of 5 bays has chamfered
ashlar quoins, plinth, a weathered stringcourse which is probably C17, moulded
cornice and parapet with coping. The latter is arched up in centre over an ashlar
framed circular opening partially glazed, which is presumed to have contained the
clock from which the house derives its name. Set below is a sundial dated 1657 and
bearing the initials of John Crabtree, a Manningham yeoman who purchased the estate
in 1636. The windows on this front have squared ashlar surrounds, later C19 sashes.
Moulded jamb late C17 doorway now blocked, carved frieze with head. Above the doorway
is a date stone of 1699 with the initials of Thomas and Elizabeth Crabtree. The
gable ends have saddlestones, small shaped kneelers in situ on north side. In the
centre of the gables are small 3-light chamfered mullion windows, rounded heads to
lights, the centre one taller, diminutive panelled spandrels. Drip moulds stepped
up over. These probably date from the late C17. Mid C19 alterations with 2-light
windows. Castellated porch to east gable end with round-headed window above. Rear
wing of 1895 with tripartite pedimented window. Stone slate roof to main house;
large ashlar chimney stack with arcaded panels centred on ridge.


Listing NGR: SE1526335318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.