This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1949 / 52°11'41"N
Longitude: -1.2051 / 1°12'18"W
OS Eastings: 454429
OS Northings: 255480
OS Grid: SP544554
Mapcode National: GBR 8SS.85B
Mapcode Global: VHCVR.2387
Entry Name: Church Farmhouse and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360540
Location: Charwelton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Charwelton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Charwelton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
4/50 Church Farmhouse and attached
(Formerly listed as
Charwelton House and attached
Farmhouse, formerly rectory and manor house. Early C18. Ironstone ashlar, tile
roof, brick central stacks on stone bases. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range.
Principal front to forecourt has 6-panel central door with overlight and
keyblock; 12-pane sash windows throughout with stone sills, surrounds and
keyblocks; windows to three centre bays more closely spaced. Keyblocks of ground
floor windows meet first floor storey band; a string at sill level of first
floor windows forms a second band. Plinth, moulded stone eaves and hipped roof.
Stone coped quadrant wall extends right. Left side elevation to garden of four
windows has similar sashes and bands; wider spacing between middle windows with
large central shield-shaped stone sundial between first floor windows. To left a
stone coped brick garden wall with flared headers and convex curve to match
quadrant wall to right which is lined with similar brickwork on this side. Rear
and right side elevation to yard have courser masonry, no string courses and
windows with 2-light casements, some leaded, with timber lintels. Rear elevation
has central round-arched window lighting staircase and four hipped dormers.
Right side elevation of 3 windows has back door with C19 porch. 12-pane sash
windows wither side and above porch flanked by 2-light leaded casements all with
timber lintels. Interior: central staircase hall has fine open well staircase
with 3 balusters to each tread, carved tread ends, ramped handrail and child
gate to landing with thinner matching balusters. Drawing Room has original
panelling with fluted Doric pilasters. Fine early C16 frieze probably removed
from previous manor house with fantastic beasts and hunting scenes and monograms
T.A. and K.A. probably those of Sir Thomas Andrews and his first wife Katherine
Andrews, who died 1555. Overmantel with large coat of arms. Backstairs have
serpentine splat balusters. House forms the cental part of a formal composition
with Gardener's Cottage (q.v.) and stable block and attached wall (q.v.).
(Peusner Buildings of England: Northants, 1973, p.148).
Listing NGR: SP5442955480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings