This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0998 / 53°5'59"N
Longitude: -0.891 / 0°53'27"W
OS Eastings: 474350
OS Northings: 356417
OS Grid: SK743564
Mapcode National: GBR BJT.PJX
Mapcode Global: WHFHG.8BYZ
Entry Name: Averham Park House
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242704
Location: Averham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Averham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Averham
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 75 NW AVERHAM AVERHAM PARK LANE
6/1 Averham Park House
House, formerly hunting lodge. 1718-20, additions C20. For
Robert Sutton, Lord Lexington. Brick with hipped and gabled
plain tile roofs. Brick plinth, first floor band, 2 ridge and
single side wall stacks, 2 storeys plus garrets, 7 plus 2 bays.
Windows are mostly glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick heads.
Main south front has projecting gabled central bay with stone
steps over semi-circular opening. Central reeded timber doorcase
with overlight and French window, flanked by single sashes, and
beyond, 2 further sashes. Above, 7 sashes, and above again, a
central sash. To right, service wing, 1924, 2 storeys, 2 bays,
with first floor band. 2 sashes on each floor. North end has 2
Yorkshire sashes with segmental heads. Main west front has
central projecting gabled bay with gabled C20 brick porch with
French window with overlight. Flanked to left by glazed door and
to right by single sash. Beyond, single glazing bar sashes.
Above, central blank panel flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes and
beyond, single blank panels. Above again, central blank panel.
Service wing has lean-to porch and to right, blocked window and
single sash. Above, 2 sashes. South end has central C20 brick
porch with hipped roof, flanked to right by a single sash.
Above, 2 sashes on different levels. Interior has 13 monochrome
paintings by Parmentier, c.1720., in Entrance Lobby, Drawing
Room, North Bedroom, Bedroom above Hall and South Bedroom. C18
dogleg staircase with landings, square newels, some panelled,
turned balusters, some flat, moulded handrail and strings. Hall
and Lobby have pilastered Classical doorcases with round heads
and keystones. Principal rooms have panelled walls with chair
rails and moulded cornices, panelled overmantels; Hall, Drawing
Room and North Bedroom have fitted cupboards with panelled doors.
Landing has linen cupboard with panelled doors. 2 early C19 hob
grates, 2 C19 moulded stone fireplaces. Remains of queen post
roof with struts from collars to principal rafters, and 3 purlins.
Listing NGR: SK7435056417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings