History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Averham, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.081 / 53°4'51"N

Longitude: -0.8556 / 0°51'20"W

OS Eastings: 476752

OS Northings: 354365

OS Grid: SK767543

Mapcode National: GBR BK2.SLF

Mapcode Global: WHFHG.TTRD

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 19 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046007

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242708

Location: Averham, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Averham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Averham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Newark upon Trent

Listing Text

SK 75 SE AVERHAM CHURCH LANE

9/5 The Old Rectory

G.V. II

Rectory. 1838-39. By William Patterson. Brick, stuccoed, with
slate roofs. Ashlar plinth, deep eaves, lead rainwater heads
with peacock motif, 3 side wall and 2 ridge stacks. 3 storeys, 6
unequal bays. L-plan. West front has projecting wing to right,
and to its left, 2 storey square porch tower with pyramidal roof.
At each end, a lean-to porch with bracketed eaves. Porch tower
has central moulded ashlar architrave with flanking pilasters and
margin stile door. Above, square panel and lintel band with
Arms, inscribed '1839'. Porch to left has door flanked to left
by single and to right by 3 round headed casements. To its
right, a tall Yorkshire sash and a C20 casement. Porch to right
has 2 pairs of round headed casements. Above, to left, a plain
sash and to its right, a casement and 2 Yorkshire sashes, plus
single glazing bar sash in porch tower. Above again, to left, a
Yorkshire sash, and to its right, a casement and another
Yorkshire sash. To right again, a small casement. North end has
to left a Yorkshire sash and to right a door. East front has 2
projecting hipped bays, each with a full-height canted bay
window. To left, 3 full height plain sashes. Recessed central
bay has C19 gabled conservatory with central door with fanlight.
To right, 3 full height plain sashes, single glazing bar sash and
a C20 casement. Above, 4 glazing bar sashes. Above again, 10
glazing bar sashes, the central 4 smaller. South end has to
left, a full height glazing bar sash and to right, 2 dummy
windows. Above, 3 glazing bar sashes. Interior has cantilevered
stone stair with landing, foliate cast iron balusters, scrolled
and ramped mahogany handrail. Deep skirtings and moulded
cornices with Classical motifs. Secondary staircase with iron
stick balusters and ramped handrail. 2 Classical style marble
fireplaces, 4 corbelled stone fireplaces with corbels and four
centred arched openings. 2 Adam style hob grates. 8 panelled
doors, door with 2 oval lights in the lock rail. Door to service
wing has overlight with integral lantern.


Listing NGR: SK7675254365

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.