This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1674 / 53°10'2"N
Longitude: -0.8059 / 0°48'21"W
OS Eastings: 479922
OS Northings: 364026
OS Grid: SK799640
Mapcode National: GBR CKH.F2F
Mapcode Global: WHFH3.LNF6
Entry Name: Carlton Hall
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242718
Location: Carlton-on-Trent, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Carlton-on-Trent
Built-Up Area: Carlton-on-Trent
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Carlton-on-Trent
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/08/2014
SK 76 SE
(Formerly listed under CHURCH STREET (west side))
Country house. 1765. Brick, colourwashed, with hipped and
gabled slate roofs. Attributed to John Johnson, but possibly by
Joseph Pocklington for himself. Stone plinth, first and second
floor bands, cogged and dentillated eaves, pedimented gables,
coped parapet. 3 storeys, 9 plus 3 bays. Symmetrical front
central block with flanking wings with service range to north.
3 side wall, 3 gable and 2 ridge stacks. Main east front has
recessed central bay, flanked by single full-height canted bay
windows. Central Doric porch with 4 columns, frieze inscribed
'1765', plain entablature and coping. Double panelled door
flanked by 3 plain sashes. Flanked again by 3-bay wings with
projecting pedimented central bays. To left, a plain sash. To
right, off-centre door flanked to left by 2 plain sashes and to
right by single glazing bar sash. Above, central Venetian window
with margin lights, flanked by 3 plain sashes. Beyond, to left,
a round headed casement flanked by single casements. to right, a
round headed casement flanked to left by 2 and to right by a
single casement. Service wing, to right, has sill and impost
bands and dentillated eaves and pedimented gable. 3-bay blind
arcade containing 3 glazing bar sashes, and above, 2 similar
sashes. Single storey outbuildings to right again, have to left
a glazing bar sash, and to its right a door with segmental head.
Beyond, a casement, and beyond again, 2 round headed casements.
Adjoining curved brick boundary wall with ashlar coping. Pair of
square piers with pyramidal ashlar caps. Pair of diagonally
boarded gates. South end has to right, C19 canted ashlar bay
window with coped parapet, containing central French window
flanked by single casements. Symmetrical west front has
projecting pedimented central bay with parapet, flanked by single
pedimented wings with projecting pedimented central bays.
Central pedimented Doric porch with double glazed door. Flanked
by 2 full-height mullioned and transomed casements with shutters.
Beyond, 3 full-height glazing bar sashes with shutters. Above, 5
mullioned and transomed casements, flanked by 3 mullioned
casements. Above again, 5 smaller mullioned and transomed
casements. Pediment contains central round window flanked by
blank panels in parapet. To left, service wing, 2 storeys, 6
bays, with sill and first floor bands and dentillated eaves. To
left, 2 blank panels and beyond, to right, door; beyond again, 3
half-round windows in recessed panels. Above, to left, 3 blank
panels and to right, 2 large glazing bar sashes inserted into
former blank panels. Interior has central entrance hall with
cantilevered stone stairs with landings around rectangular well,
with Crinoline balusters and ramped handrail. Main drawing room,
to south, has painted and gilt C18 plasterwork. Bordered,
swagged panels topped with urns on all walls, deep frieze and
cornice, panelled ceiling with foliate central boss, panel
borders and cove with cartouches and figures. East wall has
central panel flanked by single carved, painted and gilt
doorcases with friezes, containing panelled doors. South wall
has central fireplace, marble, with Atlantes carrying large swag.
Frieze with wreathed cartouche, moulded shelf and above, plaster
overmantel with vine decoration and swagged flanking panels.
West wall has mirrors in panels and 2 windows with moulded papier
mache pelmets. Library has full-height fitted timber bookcases,
Classical style, incorporating pedimented doorcases. East wall
has early C19 marble fireplace with flanking figures, frieze with
cherubs, wreathed brackets, and above, overmantel mirror.
Flanked by single pedimented doorcases with curved brackets.
Classical style cornice. Other principal rooms have moulded
cornices. Oak room has panelled frieze painted with C19 hunting
scenes. 2 Classical style marble fireplaces, carved wood
fireplace with swagged frieze, 5 plain and panelled stone
fireplaces. Moulded papier mache pelmets. 2 fitted cupboards
with half glazed doors. C18 doors and fittings. Minor staircase
has winder and landing with square newels, moulded handrail,
turned and stick balusters. Service wing has 2 fitted cupboards,
one with projecting glazed central section. Adjoining terrace
wall. C19. Ashlar. Brick plinth, half-round band and chamfered
coping. Curved ends and central section. Chamfered bases
carrying 12 urns of various types, and C19 bird bath.
Listing NGR: SK7992264026
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings