History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Besthorpe, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1733 / 53°10'24"N

Longitude: -0.7662 / 0°45'58"W

OS Eastings: 482566

OS Northings: 364736

OS Grid: SK825647

Mapcode National: GBR CKJ.52J

Mapcode Global: WHFH4.6HDL

Entry Name: Parish Church and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 17 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242528

Location: Besthorpe, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Besthorpe

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: South Scarle with Besthorpe Girton and Spalford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Sutton on Trent

Listing Text

SK 86 SW BESTHORPE THE GREEN
(west side)

5/3 Parish Church and
Boundary wall

G.V. II

Parish Church, 1844: brick with welsh slate and stone slab roofs, stone
dressings, coped gables with kneelers. Nave with apse, gabled south porch,
bell turret. South front has central porch with coped gable and cross, four
centred arched doorway with label mould and close boarded door flanked by 2
double lancets with Y tracery. Apse has 3 single lancets and pitched roof.
Bell turret has single lancet on each side, modillioned eaves, pyramidal slab
roof with cross. Interior rendered except window reveals. Brick chancel
arch with moulded ashlar soffit, responds and quoins. At west end, 2
wood-cased iron columns supporting bell turret. Nave roof has tie beam
with 3 decorative pendants, supported by curved brackets on carved wooden
corbels. Queen posts with arch braces to purlins and curved brackets forming
mouchettes in spandrels. Apse roof semi circular with common rafters. Plain
C19 deal pews, communion rail 1898. Boundary wall, brick, with cast iron
coping carrying ornate cast iron railing and gate.


Listing NGR: SK8256664736

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.