History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sacrista Prebend

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0776 / 53°4'39"N

Longitude: -0.9563 / 0°57'22"W

OS Eastings: 470016

OS Northings: 353886

OS Grid: SK700538

Mapcode National: GBR BK3.51D

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.8XW0

Entry Name: Sacrista Prebend

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242455

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

WESTGATE
SK7053
1919-0/11/150 (North West side)
11/08/61 No.4
Sacrista Prebend

GV II

Former prebendal house, now the headmaster's house of the
Minster School. Front range built between 1774 and 1798 for
Nicholas Hutchinson, incorporating parts of an earlier house
in the rear wings. Brick, with stucco front, stone dressings
and slate roofs. Gothick style front. Front has plinth and
coped gables. Rear has partial stone plinth and chamfered
eaves. 5 gable and 2 ridge stacks. 2 storeys; 3 window range.
Symmetrical front has 2 gabled wings each with transomed
triple lancet, and between them, a double lancet, all with
hood moulds. Central canted flat roofed porch with pierced
balustrade and Tudor arched doorway flanked by single plain
sashes in lancet openings. Beyond, single canted hipped bay
windows with 5-light transomed lancets. Rear wing has, to
north, 2 glazing bar sashes on each floor, the lower ones
tripartite. Interior: entrance hall has dentilled cornice and
Tudor arch into porch. Dogleg stair and landing with cut
string, stick balusters and scrolled ramped handrail. Left
front room has vine trail frieze, cornice with oak leaves, and
shallow coved ceiling. Adam style wooden fireplace on south
wall. Other front rooms have panelled doors, some of them in
Gothick style. This building is one of the 9 remaining
prebendal houses formerly attached to Southwell Minster.
(Norman Summers: A Prospect of Southwell: London: 1974-:
94-96).


Listing NGR: SK7001653886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.