This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0176 / 52°1'3"N
Longitude: -1.3751 / 1°22'30"W
OS Eastings: 442979
OS Northings: 235644
OS Grid: SP429356
Mapcode National: GBR 7TC.F4W
Mapcode Global: VHCWF.3KW6
Entry Name: The Court House and Attached Wall and Doorway Dated 1610 2 Metres to Right
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244218
Location: Bloxham, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Bloxham
Built-Up Area: Bloxham
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bloxham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BLOXHAM CHURCH STREET
SP4235 (East side)
9/115 The Court House and attached
08/12/55 wall and doorway dated 1610.
2m. to right
Court House. Probably originally C14. Rebuilt c.1685 and 1689. In 1887 the loft
was made into an upper room and the C14 doorway was moved from the south to the
north side. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Thatched roof. Stone stack to
right. 2-unit plan. North elevation facing church: Single storey. Pointed arched
doorway to right has plank door and stone steps and is flanked by two 2-light
casements with wooden lintels. Left end has blocked pointed arched window with
fragments of tracery and a 2-light C20 wooden mullioned and transomed window.
Right end has two C20 wooden mullioned and transomed windows to main floor and a
single 2-light window to basement (now museum). Rear: Single storey plus attic.
Two 2-light C20 windows flank wide C20 sliding door. Three 2-light windows to
attic. Blocked doorway in wall attached to right end has hood mould with square
label stops and partially legible inscription noted as: GC:TW:TM Townesmen Anno
l610. This doorway was to a school house demolished in 1887. Interior: basement
has chamfered bressumer to fireplace. In the C19 two large coppers were
installed for a soup kitchen and the basement housed the town fire engine.
During the C20 the upper floor has been regularly used by the Parish Council and
other orqanisations and the basement by the museum.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.481-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IX, p.57;
Huntriss, Y.S., The Town of Bloxham, 1983, p.9).
Listing NGR: SP4297935644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings