This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9955 / 51°59'43"N
Longitude: -1.3621 / 1°21'43"W
OS Eastings: 443893
OS Northings: 233201
OS Grid: SP438332
Mapcode National: GBR 7TK.Y5L
Mapcode Global: VHCWM.B3RK
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1046238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244125
Location: Barford St. John and St. Michael, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Barford St. John and St. Michael
Civil Parish/community: Barford St John and St Michael
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barford St Michael with Barford St John
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP43SW BARFORD ST.JOHN & ST.MICHAEL CHURCH LANE
4/23 Church of St. John
Church. C12, C13 and C15. Restoration 1860's by G.E. Street. Regular coursed
ironstone rubble. Stonesfield slate roof. Nave, chancel and south porch.
Chancel: 3-light Perpendicular east window. Single lancet to north. Traceried
window with square head, pointed arched doorway with plank door and 2-light
lancet with limestone hood moulds to south. Nave: Two 2-light Perpendicular
windows with square hood moulds and small 4-centred arched doorway to north. To
south two 2-light Decorated windows with some renewed stonework. South doorway:
Romanesque with zig zag decoration and jamb shafts with volute capitals, plank
door. South porch: By Street, noted as an eccentric addition (Pevsner),
octagonal tower with pyramidal roof and foliated circles to bell opening.
Interior: Early English chancel and chancel arch. Fittings: Romanesque font, tub
shaped on a Perpendicular base. Monument to James Belcher 1722 on north wall of
chancel, decorated with cherubs. Date 1662 carved on highest stage of tower.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974 p.445; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol IX,
Listing NGR: SP4389333201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings